Emotional cruelty law considered in the UK.

by nicolaou 6 Replies latest social current

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

"The (UK) government is considering whether to introduce a new offence of emotional cruelty to children, it has been confirmed. The proposed change to neglect laws in England and Wales would see parents who deny their children affection face prosecution for the first time.

Mr Williams's bill would add a further category of harm for which the perpetrator could be punished: impairment of "physical, intellectual, emotional, social or behavioural development"

I'd like to hear from Mr Paul Gillies or any other Watchtower representative in the UK as to how they'd square this proposed new legislation with their doctrine of disfellowshipping minors. Or the mental abuse of convincing young children that demons, Satan and an imminent Armageddon are all real.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26814427

• bemused
    bemused

My first thought when I heard this was how are they going to prove anything? Mind you shunning (does this really happen for minors) would be provable I guess. Instilling fear of armageddon would also be provable but would the courts want to get into the area of religious beliefs?

• Splash
    Splash

"Impairment of intellectual development".

Start with all the home schooled JW kids.

Splash.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

would the courts want to get into the area of religious beliefs?

Nevermind the Courts, it's hard enough getting the Charity Commission involved, even when the issues are truly clear cut. http://www.hillingdontimes.co.uk/uk_national_news/11049114.Ruling_on_baby_s_blood_transfusions/

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

How is " emotional cruelty" defined? Seems very subjective, and could be abused quite easily.

MMM

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think this Law may struglle to get on the Statute Book for the reasons staed above, a shame, it could well have worked in favour of the poor suppressed, and repressed, and frankly abused children of Jehovah's Witnesses.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

From discussions on national radio with experts it seems that this will be targeting more extreme cases where serious psychological effects will be manifest. At the moment social workers can identify many occassions where there is emotional abuse having recent guidelines yet police are bound by criminal law that is based upon a law from 1933.

It's a great step in the right direction. I certainly believe that emotional abuse can be as harmful if not more so than physical abuse. Whether any cases involve JW children in years to come will be one to watch.

mmxiv

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit