1st Century GB... Peter

by leaving_quietly 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Was there a 1st century GB? JWs say, it was centralized in Jerusalem, and they use Acts 15 to prove it. However, today's WT study shows something interesting. Peter, a pillar, an apostle, MOVED TO BABYLON!(par. 9: "Some time after that meeting, Peter went to live in Babylon...")

The book of 1 Peter is presumed to be written from there, according to the All Scriptures book, and likely because of the the closing at 1 Pet 5:13: "She who is in Babylon, a chosen one like you, sends you her greetings, and so does Mark, my son." Other sources agree (e.g. http://www.biblica.com/en-us/bible/online-bible/scholar-notes/niv-study-bible/intro-to-1-peter/)

If there was a 1st century GB, why would they not all stay in Jerusalem?

EDIT: Bobcat has a thread on this already... moving my comments over there. (Didn't see it before I started this topic).

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/278549/1/Peter-in-Babylon-1-Peter-5-13

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Read the writings of Paul and the book of Acts, they were guided by holy spirit not a GB

• the non believer
    the non believer

the book is author lis the bible changes just a little depending on what religon vesion it is all religons false and need to pay taxes .im getting sick and tired of listning of wich one is right

• the non believer
    the non believer

The JW religon is so new and its its just as bad as all the rest.If everybody has allready been chosen to go to heaven, why are they looking for more people every week. They only came to my door 1 time because they couldnt answer any of my questions and didnt like what i had to say.

• the non believer
    the non believer

O shit i just got zapped by some god lightning i shouldnt talked that way i new it sorry my bad hair dryer wasnt in a gfi plug when i was drying my hair in the bathtub

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

non believer, welcome... first three posts!

Please introduce yourself on a new thread and let us know a little about yourself.

Just for clarification, this site is full of ex-JWs and current JWs who no longer believe their teachings. It's a support group, and it's a way to expose what they teach as false.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Acts 15 describes a one-time church council to resolve a doctrinal issue. There is nothing either stated or implied indicating the existence of an ongoing "governing body"in the manner understood by JWs today. The elders and apostles came together, resolved a problem, and then went about their business again. Anyone who argues for the existence of a first-century "governing body" needs to find better evidence than Acts 15.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit