If They Stopped Shunning Tomorrow?

by cofty 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I cannot condemn my family for shunning me because I shunned some of my family at one time. If I couldn't forgive them for doing this then I couldn't forgive myself for having done it either. I don't know if I would feel close to them if they were still JWs, but I would never turn them away from my door. They are only doing what they think is best, no matter how hurtful it is to me.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    I would demand payment from family and friends that shunned me to be held in trust by me,and me alone just in case the GB decides to reverse the non shunning rule. Then at least I would have something to remember them by. After procuring payment I would then have limited contact with them sort of like that distant relative that drops in on you once every few years. After all these years of being shunned there is too much damage that has been done to family relationships, I have moved on. I have real family and friends now.
  • SimonSays
    SimonSays

I would say great. I promise I won't attack your beliefs but this has to be a two way street. You have to promise not to share your beliefs and meetings with me because I have no interest in hearing about that part of your life. And in all honesty it just promotes arguments which we should avoid. We can talk about life, love, food, movies, books, TV shows, sports, science and the cosmos if you want

That’s the way it is right now. Shunning is based in belief of faith. When a person gets df’d that persons belief is in question not the person itself. If people that know you go the extra mile to shun you for you, then it means they know you well enough to know what kind of a person you really are, and are in a much better position to decide why they are doing it without having to blame the entire organization. Shunning value is personal.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

As I said in another thread, I'm a believer of keeping the peace and taking what love you can get from your brainwashed, abused, indoctrinated loved ones. I would avoid the really aggressive, obnoxious ones like the plague, though. Respect has to go both ways and if they don't respect my feelings/beliefs then there is no room for them in my life.

I would say great. I promise I won't attack your beliefs but this has to be a two way street. You have to promise not to share your beliefs and meetings with me because I have no interest in hearing about that part of your life. And in all honesty it just promotes arguments which we should avoid. We can talk about life, love, food, movies, books, TV shows, sports, science and the cosmos if you want.

What SimonSays said. Perfectly stated.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

If people that know you go the extra mile to shun you for you, then it means they know you well enough to know what kind of a person you really are, and are in a much better position to decide why they are doing it without having to blame the entire organization.

I don't think so SimonSays. I don't think they knew me at all. Otherwise I would have come back and sat at the back of the hall like they probably expected. As far as the Borg goes I am sure they had plans for a young brother like me. One elder even told me that. LOL.

I was young then and now I am getting old all those lost years was harder on them than it was me I'm sure.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

The only reason my family is fanatical shunners is because they

believe I put a end to my other family members becoming JW's

There is a shunning to a certain extent toward family members that are not

JW's. I have a niece and a nephew that live one block apart, they grew up

together. The niece and her family JW, my nephew and his family non-JW.

They have lived in the same neighborhood for over 15-20 years. She have

never set foot in his house, he said he have only seen her a few times

over the years in passing. So they feel they are being shunned also.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

SimonSays: That judgmental thing again. Please give me a break. Of all

people there is not one JW that is in the position to judge someone, all the

blood on their hands, and the lying. I have become a much better person

now then when I was a JW...

• Poztate
    Poztate

Imagine that the cult decided to stop shunning family members on the proviso that the DFd person was not actively trying to attack the cult.

(Please don't debate whether or not this is likely - it's hypothetical)

Sorry... This is not an hypothetical question at all. This exact thing happened in the late 1970's with a view change. You were allowed to associate with family members as long as you had no religious interchange. I believe it was Ray Franz that wrote and helped to implement that policy. It was only a matter of a few years until they changed back to the beat them and shunning policy in 1982 and that is where we have been ever since.

I engaged a C.O. at the KH when he was visiting to protest the "new" policy since all sorts of scriptures and "bible proofs"were offered to back up the no shun understanding. In the end it is the last thing they say that is "truth" and nothing that happened before matters. I walked out of the hall that day and never looked back

Don't trust them if they decide to "change" again. It can all change in a heatbeat

Poz

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

Sorry... This is not an hypothetical question at all. This exact thing happened in the late 1970's with a view change. You were allowed to associate with family members as long as you had no religious interchange. I believe it was Ray Franz that wrote and helped to implement that policy. It was only a matter of a few years until they changed back to the beat them and shunning policy in 1982 and that is where we have been ever since.

I remember that now that you brought it up Poztate.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Due to the easy access of information that is on the Net. which is quite damaging and detrimental to the organization which the GB are now aware of, they are prone to be even more protective of the organization which they play a large part of.

In other words don't expect a change.

A matter of fact expect the wall to grow even higher.

Its Jah's will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit