Anyone in commissioned sales? This is classic--

by stocwach 2 Replies latest jw friends

• stocwach
    stocwach

Hello again all,

I have been in outside sales for office equipment for the last 15 years or so. As a commissioned sales person, this is my livelihood, however, at times during competitive situations, I will lower my price on a product in order to secure the business, i.e. the customer has a competitive bid, or the pricing just won't fit within the budget.

I am proud to say that since becoming a Christian 3 years ago, I have to say that all questionable tactics that I once used, i.e. inflating the price to show a high trade value, trying to sell the product for more than the suggested retail pricing etc. have ceased.

Where this gets interesting is the condemnation email I received from a JW who I thought was a friend, but now I am having second thoughts after finding out his true perception of my profession:

When you call me, can you explain how artifical inflation of the price of a
    copier to make a profit and pack as much GP as possible in it doesn't bother
    your Christian trained conscience about lying? Why can you charge one
    customer one price and another customer another price? As many now say:
    "WWJD?" Would Jesus inflate the price of a copier and tell someone it 's the
    best copier in the world to make as much money as possible from an
    unsuspecting client and then lower the price on the same copier for an
    educated buying client? Please apply 1 Peter 2:21 since it states that Jesus
    is the model we should follow so what would he do? WWJD Lou? Would Jesus be
    dishonest to squeeze a profit?"

The ironic thing is this guy has been a dub for about 12 years or so, and he worked for the same company as I did selling the same stuff for 2 years or so as a dub!

I left him a voice mail that I found it interesting he would call me a liar and dishonest, and then I threw a question back at him: If Jesus as carpenter were approached by someone who wanted his services, but couldn't afford them, WWJD? Would it not be the loving thing to lower the price, rather than arrogantly say this is the price, take it or leave it? And then I pointed out that what he was saying is that any JW for that matter who is in any type of sales position where there is flexibility on pricing is considered a liar and dishonest! I told him that it would be interesting to get "Brother So and So's" feelings on the matter (a mutual acquaintance in my industry who I have known to be a JW, but I am almost positive my friend is unaware that he is a JW because he only knew this Brother So and So through work). I mentioned to him I wonder what Brother SO and So's elders would have to say on the matter if he happened to take offense to his accusations. HE WOULD BE A VICTIM OF A JUDICIAL COMMITTEE!

Just another perfect example of a JW not thinking of the consequences of their actions.

• simplesally
    simplesally

What I used to say is that there is a manufacturer's suggested retail price, anything lower than, even 10 cents, is a discount based on negotiation, financing and rebates.

Should the JW want to make sure he is getting a fair rate, he should pay retail, afterall, do you get to go to Macy's and ask the sales rep for a lower price? Do you complain when you buy clothes and paid the amount on the tag????

• Englishman
    Englishman

Stocwatch,

I appreciate your dilemma, however it is really very simple mathematics. First you work out how much you need to earn on a daily basis, a sum that will give you a comfortable living. In the UK a sum of around £150 a day will give you an acceptable income that will pay your bills and leave a little bit over for recreation. Thats £750 needed every week, around $1100 US.

You then take the number of transactions that you conduct every week. If it's, say 20 transactions, you need to earn, on average, £37.50 on each transaction. You do not have to justify this to anyone, your buyer can simply refuse if he so chooses.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit