Education

by Jacinta 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jacinta
    Jacinta

Why does the organization discouraged a higher education? I had a friend in the KH that decided she'd go to college and she was looked down at for choosing that. I'll admit, she wasn't what the witnesses call 'strong in the truth'. But still, what is wrong with an education so you can obtain a better paying job? Why do they think that struggling to get by financially makes you a better christian? The KH wants donations and some of the people can't even make their bills because they are pioneers and have a very low income. That always bothered me about the WTS.

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

They discourage higher education for a couple reasons.

One, the dub would be spending time around 'worldly' people and may possibly form 'associations that spoil useful habits'.

Second, higher education leads to thinking and analysing (well, for most people), and they definitely DON'T want that!

Third, they say that it takes time away from kingdumb activities like field service, study and meeting attendance. They like to keep people under their thumbs, addicted to and dependant on the WTS.

They have enough people leaving them their estates when they die, and their fare share of rich converts. The WTS is loaded with money.

I remember towards the end of my time with the JWs, that a young brother had just graduated high school. He had a part in the assembly, but when the elders found out that he was taking a '2' year course at the community college, they told him he'd be setting a very bad example and dismissed him from the assembly part. According to them, he was only to take a one year course, but the best decision was for him to pioneer. Guess what he did? He didn't go to school. He became a regular pioneer. I also was close to a sister who's husband was extrememly smart and had all the education to be a university professor. They had 5 kids, and he worked at a low paying job because that's what he was told to do.

They also didn't like me going on my EMT course. (I was a single mother) So they followed me to the town where the course was, stayed in the hotel where all the students stayed, and if we took walks at night to just get 'out' and go over the day's material, they followed in a car about 4 feet behind me. After my course, my every move was watched. They don't want people to think for themselves.

It's all about control. Bottom line. And they do this alot.
    Hope this answers your question hon.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Also, the counsel given now is that if you send the children to higher education, that they should be enrolled in a short term program where they can earn a higher income. Example: Getting a 2 year business degree or computer degree of some sort. Or enrolling in a tech school, beauty school, etc.

They also don't you to send them to a college away from home. Why not? Cuz they will miss meetings, not be under parental supervision, chance of getting drunk, chance of dating, chance of forming friends with worldlies.... And don't forget, they are warned that the worldlies are immoral and you can't trust them. You can't trust that your dorm room will be just for you and your roomie. You can't trust that your floor will be only for one sex.

Lots of reasons all leading to the same point: you can't trust your children to stay in the truth if you don't keep the leash on.

• TR
    TR

Thank Dog I didn't stay a 'hovah. My kids are willing and able to get educated without any dickweeds looking down on them.

TR

UADNA-WA
    Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America- Washington Division

• rmayer32
    rmayer32
    So they followed me to the town where the course was, stayed in the hotel where all the students stayed, and if we took walks at night to just get 'out' and go over the day's material, they followed in a car about 4 feet behind me.

I'm sorry but even when I was a witness something like that would have had me kicking somebodys ass.

-Rick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit