Sometimes the most obvious connections are the most difficult to make

by neverendingjourney 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I had a sudden realization the other day, one that took me many years to make but that should have been fairly obvious in hindsight. Let me explain.

My parents are immigrants. They moved to the U.S. when I was a toddler. They were poorly educated and worked tough jobs for little money. As such, they were an easy target for con-artists of various sorts. They were especially vulnerable to door-to-door, high-pressure salesmen.

When I was a toddler my mother was talked into buying an incredibly overpriced cookware set for something like $1,000 in early 80s money. Not to worry, the cookware would pay for itself with the money we'd save from not eating out anymore!

Not long after that my father agreed to buy an encyclopedia set, but thankfully the salesperson never returned. When i was in middle school my mother bought a vacuum cleaner from a lady, again, for over $1,000. Our house didn't have carpet. I wish I were kidding. The most expensive con they fell for was a central air/heating system that was incredibly expensive and came with a near-usurious interest rate. We couldn't afford any of these things.

There was another common thread with all these scams. Each time the salesperson passed himself off as a deeply pious person in order to lull the ignorant into a false sense of complacency. I think you see where I'm going with this.

As I sat there remembering all these things it dawned of me: Of course my parents were going to fall for the nice JW couple who came selling religion to their door . Why wouldn't they? They never once resisted buying a product being peddled door-to-door regardless of the price or the actual need for such product (or lack thereof). The JW product was simply another con peddled by pious door-to-door salespeople. It was completely in character for my parents to blindly purchase it.

Had the Mormons beaten the JWs to their door, I'd likely be posting this on an ex-LDS forum instead.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    Yes, and lots of JWs work those types of jobs as well. We had a Pioneer / Cutco Knife salesperson and a Pioneer / Avon lady in my hall growing up.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

My parents are immigrants. They moved to the U.S. when I was a toddler. They were poorly educated and worked tough jobs for little money.

IF it would make you feel any better................My parents were not immigrants. My father had a degree and my parents were middle-class Americans.........yet they still bought into this flim-flam of a religion.

I'm still looking for an excuse that makes me feel better about ME being so gullible and naive for almost all of my life.

Doc

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

My parents were immigrants as well (Europe)...very trusting. Us kids,( putting our bible knowledge to good use), used to refer to Matt 23:27 when we'd say:

"Mom and Dad would probably buy a white washed grave if someone came to the door selling one"

When they first arrived in this country, they had 2 kids and no friends of family here. Mom (24) was lonely and talked to the nice ladies at the door that kept coming back.....the rest is history.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    We had a Pioneer / Cutco Knife salesperson

I forgot about the knives. My mom also bought a set. But it was cool, though. If you gave them the name, address and phone number of six of your closest friends, they'd throw in a free knife.

When they first arrived, they had 2 kids and no friends of family here.

Neither did mine. What's worse, my mom was scared to death that her kids would grow up to be like the some of the thugs in our neighborhood. Once she saw all the kids running around the kingdom hall in suit/ties and puffy dresses, she knew she'd found the place she wanted to raise her kids in.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

DOC: I'm still looking for an excuse that makes me feel better about ME being so gullible and naive for almost all of my life.

You don't need an excuse. If you don't know the methods of mental manipulation and mind-control then you don't know them.

It's as simple as that.

Thank yourself that there is something about you that eventually saw through it and was strong enough to say, "No!"

-

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

"Once she saw all the kids running around the kingdom hall in suit/ties and puffy dresses, she knew she'd found the place she wanted to raise her kids in."

Ha! Little did she know, those pious "little angels" were actually the devil in disguise, and often times much worse than any worldly kids in the neighbourhood or school. That was my experience growing up in the two-faced double-life JW life. My parents would ask me as a teen why I preferred friends at school and didn't hang with any kids at the Kingdom Hall. I'd flat out tell them that the kids at the hall were totally fake backstabbing poseurs that no one else could stand, and my school friends were the honest and good ones. My parents could never wrap their heads around that. The kids at the hall were total manipulative narcissists, who usually got away with murder since Daddy was an Elder, or mommy was a high-ranking Pioneer Bitch. Nope, little Johnny and Susie were as sweet as pie at the Kingdom Hall, and total heathens outside of it.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    So true. From among the batch of kids my mom first met in the kingdom hall, three have done prison time and at least one of them is a registered sex offender.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Re. the OP; absolutely.

JWs have always been particularly susceptible to D2D salesmen and MLMs/pyramid schemes.

Case in point: my Dad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit