Shunning / Also, do JW's Fast?

by Double Edge 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Since the newsreleases of last week, I'm currently in a hugh email discussion with a JW friend of mine. I asked him if it was true that JW's shun. He sent all sorts of scriptural backup along with what looks like JW written material on shunning. It seems like the 'shunning scriptures' are taken too literal. I want to point out beliefs that are in the bible, but that the JW's don't practice so I can counter that not all things from the bible are applied. The bible mentions to fast and pray. Do the JW's fast as a part of a religious practice, and if not, why? (playing the Devil's advocate).

Is this a good arguement, or are there better? Thanks.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

14 Today, we do not observe the fasts mentioned by Zechariah or the fasting prescribed in the Law. Since Jesus offered his life for our sins, we are enjoying the blessings of a greater Day of Atonement. Our sins are covered, not just in a token way, but completely. (Hebrews 9:6-14) Following the command of the heavenly High Priest, Jesus Christ, we observe the Memorial of his death as the only solemn celebration on the Christian calendar. (Luke 22:19, 20) Do we not experience "an exultation and a rejoicing" as we gather together each year for that celebration?

there's some Scripture twisting for you.

No we don't fast according to the Law Covenant, Jesus has released us from all those requirements.

Jesus has NOT released us from the requirements regarding blood (as JW's see it) rape resistance, or same-gender long-term committed monogamous relationships.

No indeedy, Jesus' sacrifice falls a little short of all that!!!!

And also, the statement about 'the only Holdiay on the Chrsitian calendar' supoported by Luke 22:19, 20...SAY WAAAAA!!! Do you see the word ONLY in that scripture? Anywhere?

So much for Pauls' words I think it was...about letting no one judge you regarding the holidays or celebrations or observances you keep ...

Good topic.

UADNA-US (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America-United States)

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Thanks for the good amunition dungbeetle. Also, the argument that Jesus 'did away' with fasting doesn't seem to fly. Fasting is found throughout the New Testament. Below is just two NT scriptures on fasting:

Matthew 17
    20 So Jesus said to them, "Because of your unbelief;[1] for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. 21However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting."

1 Corinthians 7
    5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

I just find it odd that JW's don't adher to fasting since they seem to pick up on some really obsure things (and ignore others). I want to point out that there are inconsistencies in applying the scriptures. (The JW's shunning argument really iritates me!)

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The following site has an interesting article on JWs and
    disfellowshipping and shunning:

http://www.escapefromwatchtower.com/friends.html

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Kenneson: Mucho, Mucho Garcias.... perfecto!

• Beans
    Beans

I posted a thread on this a while ago and in it is a link to the official web site of the Watchtower on this topic. You will be very surprised!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=23811&site=3

Beans

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Thanks Beans - more ammunition (there seems to be a lot of contradiction here....this should make our emails even more lively)

• TR
    TR
    Also, do JW's Fast?

ROTFLMFAO!!! 'hovah's have some of the biggest pigs I've ever seen.

Sorry, had to say it.

TR

UADNA-WA
    Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America- Washington Division

• Carmel
    Carmel

Jdubs neither fast nor baptise by fire! Strange, huh?

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit