Do you really want to be told who you cannot marry, how you can earn your living, how much fun you can have?

by Xanthippe 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

So my daughter is coming home from uni next week for the Easter hols. If she said to me I've joined this group that says I have to put them before my family, my health, earning money for food, recreation, getting married and eating. What would I say? Oh no you've joined a cult! Is it the Moonies?

Yet that is what the JWs are going to be told at their convention this Summer.

I know lots of people have posted about the program for the 2014 conventions that's on JW.org now but I just have to say if you are lurking here I would tell my daughter to run a mile from any group that says these things.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Yes that program has cult written all over it. I think it is good they are making that explicit - it may give me the opportunity to ask my wife outright whether she really thinks she should be putting her family second.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Previous to this, I put the jokehovians at the level of the Seventh Day Adventists and the Mor[m]ons. Both are cults, but relatively borderline. Many classified these as high control groups, similar to the born-agains or some Pentecostals.

However, now with this damnation working, it is veering closer to the Moonies or the Scientologists. With Saturn headed for Sagittarius, I suspect that it will get even worse. And this could bring the jokehovians closer to the level of control now enjoyed by the extreme cults such as the Boston Movement or Twelve Tribes. Do they put this smut in the Showcase Washtowel or Asleep rags?

• suavojr
    suavojr

Yeah, this summer's convention is just terrible! It is sad that some people want this kind of control

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Xanthippe:

NOPE...This crazy intrusiveness is the REAL reason I walked away from the Witness religion. Never mind their other faulty doctrines. Those were only secondary factors. This is the main reason.

As WTWizard has said, they seem to be getting closer to the level of control now enjoyed by other extreme groups. I'd have to be nuts to have stayed there.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Maybe it is true that the society expects to organisation to be smaller, but a more hard-liner one. Probably lots of visitors at the assemblies will react to the cultish approach to those subjects.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Good point DS. I'd love to hear of the reactions of visitors who were canvassed and they show up to hear how recreation, family, financial security, courting, etc, are all bad and must be rejected.

• paladin
    paladin

My wife said she wanted to attend a second summer ass-embly this year to get more out of it. I said one ass-embly is enough. I hope she wakes up this year due to all the cult talks. I plan on visiting the local hotel bar daily to help relieve the stress.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit