Why I remain one of Jehovah's Witnesses

by Brother Jeramy 146 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Illuminated
    Illuminated
    But I know if someone truly "knew" in their own heart and are at peace with leaving they would not be here trying to hate on someone else s views

I'd like to redirect that to the Watch Tower Society/Jehovah's Witnesses. If you truly know in your heart of hearts and are at peace with your belief, their wouldn't be a need to "hate" on other people's views.

Such examples would be unlovingly shunning former members and treating them as do they're dead, labeling them as "mentally diseased apostates", and labeling, harassing and trying to convert "worldly" people with beliefs they are completely happy and content with.

• Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

Brother Jeramy,

You agreed to this formula: Nazis = WTS. Innocent Germans = The JW people in general

You think therefore that you are akin to being "an innocent German" while the Nazis all around you commit mass murder and wage war on the entire free world. But your agreeing to this analogy is problematic in so many ways. You betray the Stockholm Syndrome mind set I have observed in so many JWs and even some ex-JWs, a syndrome I suffered myself for quite some time.

Here is where you are mistaken:

Innocent Germans existed in Germany LONG BEFORE there were Nazis and they continued to exist after the Nazi rule was over. JWs ONLY exist BECAUSE the WTS exists. They don't exist outside of its construct as you wish desperately to believe. While I agree there is a difference between the JWs as a people and the WTS as an organization, they are indivisible and cannot exist without each other. If you get rid of one, you get rid of the other. One is a reflection of the other. You therefore exist as a JW BECAUSE there is a WTS, not apart from it. That is simply not true of the innocent German you wish to be like.

Innocent Germans couldn't leave their country (they already lived in), they were kept there against their will and HAD to endure while Nazis ruled. JWs are not similarly kept anywhere, except in their own minds, and choose to remain of their own free will (like you).

Innocent Germans did not HAVE to feed the Nazi war machine Jewish victims. JWs DO HAVE to feed the WTS new victims or they are not in good standing (like you).

Innocent Germans did not voluntarily give their funds to the Nazi war machine (they did was was imposed on them, but not a penny more). JWS DO give their money voluntarily, at minimum in literature purchases that funds the WTS machine (like you.)

Innocent Germans worked AGAINST the Nazis when they could because they saw its evils and resisted it at every step (Oskar Schindler and the like) They tried to save people from the Nazi machine. JWs DO NOT work against the WTS and try to save anyone from it (like you.)

Innocent Germans HATED the Nazis and disagreed with their basic teachings, and said as much in private to trusted people. JWs don't hate the WTS and actually defend its teachings in private (like you on this board.)

If a German DIDN'T DO the above things I have stated the innocent German would do, then THEY WERE NOT INNOCENT. They were part and parcel of the Nazi war machine and equally culpable of everything those evil people did because they supported that regime either by default or out of selfishness, or laziness, or delusion. Nazis didn't exist in a vacuum. They got their power FROM the people. So, the individual German was either part of the solution, or they were part of the problem.

Which are you?

• Miss Behaving
    Miss Behaving

Brother J,

Thank you for pointing out that my analogy was unclear. I apologize for not being more explicit. By the Nazi government, I did mean the Watchtower Society, Adolf- obviously the GB, but by the German people, I meant Christianity.

You make the JWs out to be your only brotherhood, comparable to a German Citizen believing that only his particular political party held the solutions for his country. Can you only find brotherhood in a cult? Why not make all who embrace goodness, our heavenly father, and the Holy Bible your family? Or better yet, could you expand your heart to include all of mankind?

Ugh, I'm too sleepy to finish pulling my thoughts together. Time for me to take off my swastika arm band and call it a night. :P pleasant dreams.

• jhine
    jhine

Brother Jeremy ,

I have never been a Witnesss so have no personal axe to grind . But as a Christian I have a huge issue with the Watchtower not least of which is their corruption of the Bible . It is to your credit that you acknowledge faults within the organisation and realise that the governing body is a false entity .but do you acknowledge that it is this same GB who formulated the doctrine of the WT? All of the ways ALLof the ways in which the WT differs doctrinely from " Christendom " are products of this man made authority called the GB .

In order to defend their teaching about Christ being a created angel they have to practice deceit , yet as a Witness you.MUST accept this as truth .

Are you comfortable with accepting a corrupted Bible ? The NWT is full of add ons which totally change it's meaning .

It can be hard to recognise just to what extent the JW brainwashing is still affecting you . If you have recognised the huge faults within the organisation to be theologically honest you must question every utterance that has come from the mouth(s) of the GB .

If a policeman is found to be corrupt then every piece of evidence he has ever given must be re-examined so that justice can be done .This is your situation , the Chief Constable has been found to be wanting , every decision and rule made must be looked at again .

Jan

• Miss Behaving
    Miss Behaving

Ah, one more thought: A certain Jesus and John the Baptist had some spicy words to say about the abusive religious leaders of their time. Perhaps if you had been there Brother J, they would have had more peace in their hearts about it. :D

Ok, sleep time now

• iconoclastic
    iconoclastic

Brother Jeramy, you say: “One poster on another thread even insisted recently that all Jehovah's Witnesses are accomplices in a criminal organization and its criminal enterprise. An absurd notion, to be sure.”

You yourself can find out the truthfulness of the above. Please find out something which is absolutely true (yet it is something WT Teaching Committee is yet to realize); and present it for their approval, and see how you will be treated by them.

I am 100% sure that you will also echo the above poster’s sentiments

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Brother Jeramy, you present the opinions I held a few years ago.

What can I say. "Living in the tension" as a Christian with a JW identity is extremely stressful. The more you remove WT blinkers the more you realise Christianity is different to Watchtowerism.

Ray Franz's lesser read book "In search of Christian Freedom" is basically a rationale of how to stay associated with JWs and be a Christian, you might find it helpful if you haven't read it already.

I couldn't take the soul splitting life, it drove me to research more and more and more. I'm now a happy agnostic.

Good luck on your journey.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Brother Jeremy,

I think you may have severe cognitive dissonance. When I was waking up to TTATT I too felt I could be a JW but not follow the WT and just follow the Bible.

I understand why you feel that. I was confused and hurt and suffered injustices and I lost my family.

But going to meetings is all about reading WT publications that cherry pick bible scriptures....so I couldn't do it any more.

Take Care Jeramy.

Kate xx

• Calebs Airplane
  • Brother Jeramy
    Brother Jeramy

Brock Talon, you wrote . . .

So, the individual German was either part of the solution, or they were part of the problem

This is a woefully broad oversimplification of a complex history, and is an affront to the truth of what happened in Germany and to the German people under Nazi rule. Yes, many Germans were indeed part of the problem. Yes, many Germans were indeed part of the solution. Some Germans were both (like Oskar Schindler, who was a member of the Nazi party and part of its manufacturing apparatus while at the same time a secret savior to hundreds of Jewish people). But most Germans were in fact captive, stuck, immobilized. Neither part of the problem or part of the solution. Such is the nature of captivity under a fascist regime during war time.

But as regards the "Nazi:WTS" analogy, your re-write of it is a clearly motivated reconstruction made to suit a broad anti-WTS and anti-JW formula. A telling factor revealing your motivation is your choice use of the phrase "innocent" Germans to analogously contrast your perception of "complicit" JWs. It demonstrates the inflexible two-dimensional "either/or" rule you employ (which, by example, is a rule Oskar Schindler could never fit into, considering he operated under a "both/and" process; both "not innocent" and "innocent"), which is unsustainable as a method of examining the multidimensional complexities that attend any human community (which Oskar Schindler does fit into), JWs or otherwise. It simply doesn't work, and as such your motivated reconstruction of the "Nazi:WTS" analogy, and thereby all the points you attempt to make by it, ultimately fails.

As such I refer you back to the analogy I presented yesterday.

You also wrote the following . . .

JWs are not similarly kept anywhere, except in their own minds, and choose to remain of their own free will (like you).

JWs DO HAVE to feed the WTS new victims or they are not in good standing (like you).

JWS DO give their money voluntarily, at minimum in literature purchases that funds the WTS machine (like you.)

JWs DO NOT work against the WTS and try to save anyone from it (like you.)

JWs don't hate the WTS and actually defend its teachings in private (like you on this board.)

(Emphasis mine)

In each of your statements quoted above, you punctuated them with "(like you)," clearly inferring that you somehow have an insight into the nature of my personal, social, financial, and congregational standing and activities as they relate to Jehovah's Witnesses and the WTS. For you to draw such inferences is wildly presumptuous, to say nothing of blatantly arrogant (especially in that you manufacture those inferences in an attempt to pigeonhole me into your broad and oversimplified anti-JW construct). In reality, you know nothing whatsoever about the nature of my personal, social, financial, or congregational standing and activities.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit