Why I remain one of Jehovah's Witnesses

by Brother Jeramy 146 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Splash
    Splash

I still go to the meetings, but to be honest I can't keep up with all the changes.

If I don't know what I'm supposed to believe (and I'm not alone there, the elders are no better) then how can I teach anyone anything, after all, these teachings may all change again tomorrow so what I taught them was false.

I don't like being told to put my faith and my life on a foundation of shifting sands - I'm not the sort of person who can agree that that comes from almighty God.

Either God directs JW's or He doesn't. It's either true or it's not.
    Either God directs Catholics or He doesn't. It's either true or it's not.
    Either God directs Pentecostals or He doesn't. It's either true or it's not.

Jesus said (Matthew 7:1-5) “Why, then, do you look at the straw in your brother’s eye but do not notice the rafter in your own eye? Hypocrite!"

If you choose to, you will get the point of who the hypocrite is.

• Brother Jeramy
    Brother Jeramy

A number of people here have, in their responses, accused me of "trolling" by virtue of my having posted this topic. I don't understand the accusation, given that it's quite untrue. As it is, it seems I am being called a "troll" by some merely because I expressed a position that several don't like and don't agree with. I didn't make my post to cause a stir. I simply shared a viewpoint. Many may find that viewpoint unpopular, but that doesn't make the one who posts that unpopular viewpoint a "troll."

I'm not the only one on this forum who is a currently active Witness. I'm not the only such Witness on this forum who disagrees with the Watchtower Society on its teachings and policies. I also know I'm not the only such Witness on this forum who still loves Jehovah's Witnesses, the community and Family of brothers and sisters.

While I understand that a great majority of active posters here are former Witnesses who engage mostly in anti-JW and anti-WTS sentiment of varying degrees (some presented rationally, some not), my understanding was that this was an open forum where former as well as active Witnesses can share their views and engage in discussions. Instead, it appears that only one prevailing viewpoint is permitted here by mass default. Deviation from that viewpoint invites a barrage of antipathy.

Obviously not all will agree with different viewpoints. But the toxicity exhibited in the responses to my post is rather astounding, ranging from outright venomous remarks, to broad-range assumptions about my character, to the strange notion that I am somehow blind and uninformed as to the beginnings of the Watchtower Society, the history of Jehovah's Witnesses over the past century, or the theology embraced by Witnesses. I am, I can assure all here, not uninformed on these matters at all.

All the ridicule has been bizarre, especially given that those casting the ridicule at me are in fact behaving in the exact same cult fashion that they accuse Jehovah's Witnesses of: acute intolerance of alternative viewpoints, broad categorization of others as "deluded" who hold to different viewpoints, mean-spiritedness, and deprecating by name-calling (i.e., Witnesses use the word "apostate," many folks on here use the word "troll").

The only difference is that where Witnesses engage in disfellowshipping, many here engage in outright flogging and crucifixion (figuratively speaking, of course) of those presenting alternate views, and done with a viciously disproportionate negativity.

I understand many here have gone through painful experiences with Jehovah's Witnesses. I honestly ache for them. But I, Jeramy, am not responsible for that pain. My otherwise good and happy experience as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, in spite of my dissidence, does not make me complicit in the pain caused to many by other Witnesses that such ones were once associated with. (Any more than my being a tax-paying American citizen makes me complicit in the wrongful deaths of innocent thousands at the hands of the U.S. military over the past thirteen years; other similar examples abound.)

I've encountered many people who have posted here telling their stories about why they left the community of Jehovah's Witnesses. And so I simply wanted to share my views on why I remain as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I did so rationally and respectfully. No agenda. Just . . . sharing.

Blessings to all.

• Heaven
    Heaven

“There is no polite way to suggest to someone that they have devoted their life to a folly.” - Daniel Dennett

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I don't understand the accusation, given that it's quite untrue. As it is, it seems I am being called a "troll" by some merely because I expressed a position that several don't like and don't agree with. I didn't make my post to cause a stir. I simply shared a viewpoint. Many may find that viewpoint unpopular, but that doesn't make the one who posts that unpopular viewpoint a "troll."

You posited a position that YOU don't agree with.

You claim to be a JW, which requires 100% agreement (at least publicly) with the GB, a position you disagree with.

You teach people the JW religion, yet discount it as false.

You proclaim faith in Jesus and to teach the truth, yet are actively involved in and claim to be a member of a religion that teaches the opposite of Jesus and obvious falsehoods.

What else are you but a troll?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    And so I simply wanted to share my views on why I remain as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I did so rationally and respectfully. No agenda. Just . . . sharing.

You're evangelizing for a particular point of view, yours, and your secret JW-but-not-JW religion-within-a-religion you have going on.

At least be honest.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

"Any more than my being a tax-paying American citizen makes me complicit in the wrongful deaths of innocent thousands at the hands of the U.S. military over the past thirteen years; other similar examples abound.)"

sigh again....

• Viviane
    Viviane
    my understanding was that this was an open forum where former as well as active Witnesses can share their views and engage in discussions. Instead, it appears that only one prevailing viewpoint is permitted here by mass default. Deviation from that viewpoint invites a barrage of antipathy.

Since you have not been banned, it would seem the issue is that you don't understand what's in bold above....

in spite of my dissidence, does not make me complicit
    You preach what you know to be a lie. You are 100% complicit.
    Any more than my being a tax-paying American citizen makes me complicit in the wrongful deaths of innocent thousands at the hands of the U.S. military over the past thirteen years; other similar examples abound.

You choose to remain part of and preach on behalf of a family destroying, pedophile protecting and family destroying organization even though you know better. It makes you very responsible.

• galaxie
    galaxie
    Jeramy try sending your post to the elders in your cong' and see how long you ' remain a jehovah's witness.you are deluding yourself!!
  • Brother Jeramy
    Brother Jeramy

Viviane, you wrote . . .

You posited a position that YOU don't agree with.

You claim to be a JW, which requires 100% agreement (at least publicly) with the GB, a position you disagree with.

You teach people the JW religion, yet discount it as false.

You proclaim faith in Jesus and to teach the truth, yet are actively involved in and claim to be a member of a religion that teaches the opposite of Jesus and obvious falsehoods.

What else are you but a troll?

You choose to remain part of and preach on behalf of a family destroying, pedophile protecting and family destroying organization even though you know better. It makes you very responsible.

Thanks for demonstrating my point about the pathological negativity and spiteful generalizations many exhibit on this forum.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

A number of people here have, in their responses, accused me of "trolling" by virtue of my having posted this topic.....Brother Jeramy

I doubt your a Troll..

I`ve come across people who think they can be JWs without following WBT$ Rules..

Just like you,they think their Special

I understand many here have gone through painful experiences with Jehovah's Witnesses. I honestly ache for them. But I, Jeramy, am not responsible for that pain. My otherwise good and happy experience as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, in spite of my dissidence, does not make me complicit in the pain caused to many by other Witnesses that such ones were once associated with.

You support the WBT$ by going to their Kingdom Hall,its not your Kingdom Hall the WBT$ Owns it.

You support the WBT$ by Participating in WBT$ Activities..

You support the WBT$ by actively looking for New JWs to Recruit.....But....Your not an accomplice to the WBT$?!..

So..

The Real Problem is those Other JWs who..

Support the WBT$ by going to their Kingdom Hall..

Support the WBT$ by participating in WBT$ Activities

Support the WBT$ by actively looking for New JWs to Recruit..

....................??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..

................Image result for WTF?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit