Why I remain one of Jehovah's Witnesses

by Brother Jeramy 146 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Thanks for demonstrating my point about the pathological negativity many exhibit on this forum.

Ad hominem.

- You posited a position that YOU don't agree with.
    - You claim to be a JW, which requires 100% agreement (at least publicly) with the GB, a position you disagree with.
    - You teach people the JW religion, yet discount it as false.
    - You proclaim faith in Jesus and to teach the truth, yet are actively involved in and claim to be a member of a religion that teaches the opposite of Jesus and obvious falsehoods.

Are those statements true or not?

• Brother Jeramy
    Brother Jeramy

OUTLAW, with all due respect (and yes, even with a slight appreciation for your snark), given the very little I've mentioned about where I stand and why, you simply don't know enough about the details of my personal life and nature of my congregational involvement to draw the broad conclusions about me that you have. What the WTS is corporately does not make who JWs are communally, nor defines who I am personally.

Simple conclusions hoisted upon generalizations, while satisfying and convenient, rarely ever represent the complex realities of a matter.

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

Zion's Watch Tower, Sept. 15, 1895, pg 216

• Miss Behaving
    Miss Behaving

Hello

There's a study which took groups of Republicans and Democrats and rearranged them so that each group was made up of a ratio of 9:1. One person of the opposing party would be in each group. They wanted to see if that 1 would give into the social pressure of being out numbered. What they actually found was that the person who had to defend their beliefs alone tested more extreme in their beliefs afterwards and had a much more negative view of the opposing party then they began with.

I think you've experienced something akin to this effect on this board, where the opposing view easily outnumbers you 100:1.

It's a shame, because there were many kind and compassionate posts on this thread directed towards you, not any of mine, but the ones above your previous post.

Personally, I misunderstood you, I thought your motivation for posting on an apostate site was to be challenged, to see if your ideals could stand up to a beating. So, I didn't hold back. My motives weren't hatred of you by any means. More for the fun and mental game of it.

I'm going to move along to a more productive pursuit now. Wishing you well anyways.

• Brother Jeramy
    Brother Jeramy

cappytan . . .

For starters, what I wrote wasn't ad hominem. I was identifying the nature of Viviane's statements, not casting any aspersions on her character.
  • Brother Jeramy
    Brother Jeramy

Miss Behaving, what I do certainly appreciate is that you are at least delightfully rational (and with a good sense of humour), even when you have disagreed with a certain viewpoint. And yes, there were some posts that were kind, and I certainly expressed my gratitude to such ones (openly, and in some cases privately).

Thanks, and blessings.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Thanks for demonstrating my point about the pathological negativity and spiteful generalizations many exhibit on this forum.

Negative? Please say where I said one thing negative. I was extremely specific and pointed out reality. If your reality is negative, that's you creating it and your problem, not the forum's.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

you simply don't know enough about the details of my personal life and nature of my congregational involvement to draw the broad conclusions about me that you have. What the WTS is corporately does not make who JWs are communally, nor defines who I am personally.
    Simple conclusions hoisted upon generalizations, while satisfying and convenient, rarely ever represent the complex realities of a matter......Brother Jeramy

It`s not complicated at all..

I don`t need to know anything about your life..

Other than You Participate in WBT$ Activities and You Look for new JW Recruits..

Like it or not..You "DO" support the WBT$..

That makes you a WBT$ Accomplice...........Period..

Image result for Watchtower logo

............................http://www.rupertholmes.com/theatre/gallery/images/accomp_logo.gif

• cappytan
    cappytan
    For starters, what I wrote wasn't ad hominem. I was identifying the nature of Viviane's statements, not casting any aspersions on her character.

When your initial quote says that the negativity is "pathological," it does seem to rise to the level of calling someone's character into question.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    The Real Problem is those Other JWs

Exactly. BJ is the negative one. Just like other Christians who think they preach love by threatening death, he truly doesn't even understand the things he is saying or the words he is using.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit