Former JW ,Now Jazz Star

by ChiChiMama 5 Replies latest social entertainment

• ChiChiMama
  • Englishman
    Englishman

This chap is generally assumed to be one of the best jazz saxophonists in the World. His name is Don Rendell and he is a JW.

Englishman.

• ChiChiMama
    ChiChiMama

Here's the text since I can't get the link to work.

Boston Herald Daily News Tribune MetroWest Daily News Milford Daily News Neponset Valley Daily News Town Online The Daily Item

SEARCHbostonherald.com
    Singer gets charge out of meteoric rise

Jazz/World/by Bob Young
    Friday, May 10, 2002
    Rene Marie laughs a lot these days, mostly in disbelief at her good fortune.

``It feels like it's happening to somebody else,'' she said with, yes, a laugh during a phone conversation from her home in Atlanta. ``It's really strange.''

She's talking about her unlikely rise to jazz prominence. No, the singer isn't yet booked into the Wang Center like Diana Krall or Symphony Hall like Cassandra Wilson. But based on everything else that's happened the past few years - and her immense talent - the self-taught Marie might yet get there. She makes her Boston debut Tuesday at Scullers.

Marie's is a feel-good jazz tale if there ever was one.

After taking 23 years off between gigs to raise a family, Marie got a phone call that convinced her to step onto the stage again.

``My son, Michael, called me from a restaurant (in Richmond, Va.) and said that there's a singer here who's terrible,'' recalled Marie, who was living nearby. ``He said that he knew I could sing better and suggested I give it a try.''

She did, loved it and, at the age of 41, decided to try to make a living at it.

That was five years ago. The rest sometimes seems like a blur to her.

Her husband of more than two decades - a musician in the r & b band in which she sang when she was 18 - didn't like the idea of Marie setting off on a new career. He's now her ``wasband,'' as she puts it. And after being an active Jehovah's Witness for many years, Marie stopped being a church member altogether.

``I think my whole personality changed,'' she said, laughing again. ``I don't know what happened.''

Jazz happened, Marie style.

She signed with the MaxJazz record label, which watched her 2000 debut, ``How Can I Keep From Singing,'' climb to the top of the Gavin jazz chart. The follow-up, ``Vertigo,'' on which she's joined by such heavy hitters as pianist Mulgrew Miller, reedman Chris Potter and drummer Jeff ``Tain'' Watts, earned her a second straight vocal award from the Association for Independent Music. She makes her Monterey Jazz Festival debut this summer.

With a voice that's intimate, rich and nuanced, Marie is confident enough to take stylistic chances that go beyond the usual parameters of classic jazz vocalists. Her improbable medley of ``Dixie'' and ``Strange Fruit,'' for example, is a risky pairing that she shapes into a gorgeous success.

``I can't describe it,'' Marie said. ``I just never pictured this happening to me.''
    ChiChi

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

Thanks, ChiChiMama, for sharing the link and article!

I heard a segment about Rene Marie on Weekend All Things Considered on NPR last Sunday. I loved her voice and story and shared this link with a friend:

http://www.npr.org/programs/inrehearsal/renemarie/inspiration.html

I had no idea she was a former JW!

Ginny

• fraidycat9
    fraidycat9

Rene Marie.

Know her personally. (FOR YEARS) Wonderful woman. A true delight. Extremely humble and elegant.

• Matty
    Matty

Hey - thanks for bringing this back to the top - it gives me an excuse to put this picture up!!! --->

E'man... I saw Don Rendell live around about 15 years ago and he was absolutely brilliant. He must be knocking on a bit now - is he still alive?!

I also saw George Benson live too - it's funny how you feel compelled as a dub to support artists that are also dubs - even if the music isn't particularly your cup of tea.

Edited by - matty on 13 January 2003 12:33:51

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit