Has anyone compared hotel prices from the WT with those on the web?

by mynameislame 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Just wondering if anyone here has compared the prices of the WT approved hotels with the same hotel on hotwire, hotels dot com or some other such site?

I know my dad used to call the hotel and use his mastercard perks to get a better rate than the WT was offering. This was well before the internet age. They probably gave him an extra dicount because they knew he would be there with a bunch of JWs

• sir82
    sir82

In our area of the USA, the prices with the JW discount are significantly better than online.

You could probably match them if you went to Hotwire & took your chances. But it really is a pretty good deal.

Of course, the convention is held in a city that is not exactly a tourist destination - not even close. I suspect the hotels are quite eager to get ANY business that time of year so have no issue with reducing the price so much.

I would guess a larger and/or more desirable location would not be such a good deal.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

An Elder told me about ten years ago how he knew of a Hotel within walking distance of the D,C, so he booked direct. He was in the Bar of the Hotel having a drink with some other D.C attendees who told him they had booked there through "The Society", they compared costs and .................

This guy loves a bargain that other people miss, so he told the story to loads of people subsequently, I reckon a good few booked direct after that.

Just another WT scam. They do not realise that even a Milch Cow may kick them in the nuts one day.

• minimus
    minimus

I used to use those Entertainment books, back in the day and get better deals through them than the Society. I'm sure you can find better deals online, especially if you wait that last week.

• blondie
    blondie

We had access to government discounts as employees and it was much less than the WTS rates. The money is not the issue but rather the number of jws that sign up for the WTS rates. The hotels are told by the WTS they can expect so many people to participate.

• snakeface
    snakeface

I used to work in some hotels, and the elders would meet with the hotel mgt to make the arrangements for the following year's convention. Let's say the hotel had 200 rooms that rent for $100/night. The elders would ask for a particular rate, let's say $65; the hotel would accept the offer because it guaranteed that rooms would be sold. They'd set aside, say, 175 rooms and leave the other 25 available for walk-ins or "regular" reservations. They cannot count on walk-ins. The only way they could count on having that revenue would be to reserve for the WT or to book in some tour groups or something. We would also have the Worldwide Church of God every October. They filled up every hotel and motel in the area. The only reason any hotel would turn down any other group would be if they already booked other groups such as European tours or something. Or if the group caused problems such as partying or destructive behavior etc.

• Samsy
    Samsy

For my husbands next convention, in July, I looked up the hotels online. Because I have a government discount, the prices for some rooms were $20-$30 cheaper, than what their approved hotel list stated was a "deal". I told my husband, but he refused to book them! Even though every hotel on the list, that was colse to the convention center, was booked to the max with the JW discount and I showed him dozens of rooms that were available with my discount, he said that he needed to respect this "arrangement"?!? So, he ended up reserving a room from the list, that is 45 minutes away from the convention site and that costs like $99/night. I asked him if he REALLY thought EVERY JW was booking rooms with the JW discount, if they could get a better discount and expecially be closer to the convention site...he said he did believe that . So, now he said he is going to keep calling the cheaper & closer hotels on the list, to find out of ppl took off their reservation. This doesn't make any f**king sense...

• Tech49
    Tech49

Here are my thoughts, and what Victoria and I have done in the past.

1. I will NEVER stay in a budget, cheapo, fleabag motel, regardless of the cost. No way I am staying at an Econolodge, Super8, or LaQuinta with a bunch of sweaty, grumpy, cheap-ass JW's. Rather than go cheap, I would rather stay home.

2. I dont care if I stay in an "approved" hotel or not. I stay where I want to stay. I'm pushing 50, I am an adult, come-on already, go badger someone else, and get out of my face.

3. I can go get a room at an upper-end motel, business suite, or similar, with either a business discount, points, or something, and meet or beat the WT rates, every time.

4. MOST IMPORTANTLY, I try NOT to stay at a hotel where other WT attendees are staying. VERY SIMPLE REASON. They make fools of themselves, they are embarrassing, and are just a nightmare to deal with in the morning at breakfast, and at check in/out. They are loud, obnoxious, and all the while with their "badge cards" on. I have seen too many embarrassing displays of greediness and foolishness. From the "free" cocktail and cheese bars, where the "brothers" are lined up like schoolkids at the Wine and Beer counter, or the bar, with their suits and badges...... idiots.......

Few years ago, saw a group at the TGI Fridays at a convention hotel, these gals all had their "badges" on, and were dressed like absolute hookers. They werent even good looking, regardless. Booze flowing freely., Cheap polyester tank tops, nightgown dresses, Boobs hanging, yes hanging out everywhere, It was sad sad sad. No, scratch that.... hookers dress better.

Then there is the MOB that always goes to the pool in the evening. Poor sobs that happen to be at the hotel on a real vacation get to see the gobs of "witness" children and their parents behaving like lunatics. Whenever the JW.org attendees take over, its usually painful to watch. NO THANK YOU.

IF we go at all, we do our own thing, and we don't worry about wearing our badges outside of the convention site. We behave like adult, business professionals, and that's that. We just sit back and watch the show!

Jack Harper, Tech49

PS. just thought of something else. Went back to JW.Org headquarters a little over a year ago. Stayed in the hotels on their "list" in Connecticut and New Jersey I think. The rates were nothing special, I could get the same rate or better with my frequent guest card. Lame. You know they have to be getting kickbacks from those hotels for sure.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Tech49,

So true. I was going to mention the fun by the pool, but I figured I'd leave it for someone else. You didn't disappoint!

Such good memories, I even have a group in mind for the young underdressed ladies at Fridays.

I remember going out to eat after the assembly once with a new group and the waitress was just nasty. Probably because we were being such a pain in the A**. A couple of us complained and asked for a new waitress which we got. When the JW mom of the group found out she insisted on getting the original waitress back because, I assume, it would have been a bad witness to expect good service. Wish I pulled the headship card just to stick it to her.

That should have taught me to join a strange group just for the cute sisters, although I’m pretty sure it didn’t

• Imminent1975
    Imminent1975

Tech49 said, " I dont care if I stay in an "approved" hotel or not. I stay where I want to stay. I'm pushing 50, I am an adult, come-on already, go badger someone else, and get out of my face."

Tech, we are about the same age and it took me a few years to come to your conclusion. I have never agreed with the idea that if you go to their convention you have to abide by where they want you to stay, but for many years I was submissive, I awoke, and then I just faded into the sunset.

But I remember those painful stays at the Hotels were there were other witnesses; it WAS embarrassing. I lower my head in disgrace from recalling the hotel restaurant/and or bar to the pool, even the elevator. Does anyone remember the year they talked about Hibachi's not being allowed in the hotel rooms for cooking? That must have been the Beverly HillBillies witnesses. No Jed and Granny had better manners. We just rolled our eyes in our congregation, but the sad thing is that everyone, including me, just took the beatings, thinking there was nothing better religion wise.

There are too just too many variables in peoples lives to dictate where you are staying. Not just Skymiles or credit card discounts, but unique situations, or maybe not so unique. For example, Elderly people that cannot see so well at night not wanting to drive an hour in a strange city to get to their room. It's just not any of their (WTBTS) business. It all about their CONTROL. Scr(hashtag)w them.// Oh, and you were supposed to take off work and go help clean the convention center also the day before, because WTBTS was too cheap to pay custodians who we all know are just money sucking millionaires. LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit