Stupid Generalizations

by EmptyInside 8 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I've learned my lesson. I just keep my mouth shut around JW family.

My mother was talking about a non-Witness cousin. This guy is a jerk,and he doesn't do anything for his elderly mother. And my brother said,that he is just weird,since he wouldn't even help his mother take out her garbage. But,he still goes to her house once a week,and she makes him breakfast.

My mother says,"Well,maybe that isn't weird in the world. Maybe that is normal for worldly people." At least my brother,said that he thinks,even "worldly" people would help their elderly mother take out the garbage,lol.

I just can't believe how little they think of people outside the religion. And my mother knows better than that. She knows Witnesses who are jerks too. I guess the brainwashing makes many self-righteous. Of course,I guess I used to be the same way. It's just hard seeing it now on the other side of things.

I remember when I would see non-Witnesses really doing great charity work,and making a difference. I had that attitude,that's it's not the most important work of preaching the good news,blah.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

"Normal for worldly people" - does that not grind your gears!

Marina

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I hear ya. All the 'jerks' in the org get a pass. I hear excuses like "Jehovah puts them there to test us" or "Jehovah allows that to happen to keep us humble". Yeah, ok.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

As a worldly person I can confirm that I also regularly treat my elderly mum like cr@p - it is because I am inspired by Satan (and this is also the reason I selfishly got a university degree)!

• steve2
    steve2

Double standard: Judge as worldly things nonWitnesses do, cast a blind eye to all your brothers do that is equally as bad - or make excuses for it (e.g., we're only human). You may be interested in social psychology papers that have long researched the way practically all groups do this to one degree or another - just that it is more frankly apparent in some groups than in others.

• SAHS
    SAHS

The biggest stupid generalization the JWs make is, “So-and-so is in ‘the truth’ ” – so, therefore, it is supposed to be understood that So-and-so is among the one and only group/class of people who are automatically enlightened above everyone else (i.e., the rest of humanity; you know, “the world”) and deemed worthy of God’s (Jehovah’s) approval and salvation. . . . Yep. . . . “The TRUTH” . . . (thus the irony!).

• hoser
    hoser

Confirmation bias

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

I live in NYC....take the subways every day, come to work, go home, go shopping, etc.....if worldly people were so bad, we would be stepping over dead bodies all over the place. The badge of honor is that they are associated with God's channel, so they think. I was just baptized, I was out there, but I wasn't doing anythink bad. Just because a person was out in the world doesn't mean they did dastardly deeds. Some witnesses before they got there were off the hook, no type of balance. So they feel everyone is or was like they were. As you say, keep your mouth shut...I do. I don't care if this is or isn't God channel. That's not what floats my boat. I like what I've learned in the bible. I don't swallow everything they say from the stage. If anyone is in because it's supposed to be God's channel, then you're in for the wrong reasons. If you're in to learn about the real truth, the the JW's is a good place to start. What they have done for me is to lead me to the Truth about the bible (not their truth). I don't think I'm better than anyone. I may be able to quote a scripture or two, but I'm just another human, just trying to do the right thing. The Bible is the ultimate truth....man interprets it to make you rely on him. We have to interpret it for you, otherwise, you would really have the truth, that we JW's are not the Truth. But what I find to be a stupid generalization is....We are imperfect (as they stand there with the smok'in gun). We expect the world to treat me like this but not my own brother or sister, another generalization, I hate. I have more, but don't want to hog up the website....

Legacy

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

JW's really do have contempt for "worldly" people. How many other religions go to "worldly" people's doors judging them behind their backs as goats and soon to be dead bird food at Armaggedon. More fanatical JW cult members even talk among themselves about which houses they wil take over. I'm telling you the JW religion is bat-shit crazy. I was such an idiot and am totally embarassed to have at one time been an elder in this religion that I now view as a dangerous family destroying cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit