What do JWs think this means?

by Bang 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Bang
    Bang

I'd like to know what JWs think that poor in spirit means.

As in 'blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven'

Bang

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

The New World Translation renders that verse (Matthew 5:3) as follows:

"Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the kingdom of the heavens belongs to them."

No idea how they justify or interpret that.

--
    But if you pray all your sins are hooked upon the sky
    Pray and the heathen lie will disappear
    Prayers they hide the saddest view
    (Believing the strangest things, loving the alien)
    -- David Bowie, Loving The Alien

• Bang
    Bang

I take it that they don't honestly prefer and choose to be materially poor, like Jesus did.

Bang

• Will Power
    Will Power

So if you recognize you have a spiritual need, guess next is to get that spiritual food, but that means that the kingdom of heaven belongs to you?
    That makes sense considering only the annointed would recognize any "spirit" within. The rest have none so heaven is not available.

Last night I was watching 2 jews debate. (they are friends & do this often)
    Now jews wrote & were responsible for the protection, & instruction of the Old Testament right? (this is the same book that had the rules for blood right?)
    Anyway, they were discussing away then started to talk about the soul. So when did the JWs toss out this idea by way of their translating the jew's own language?

An informed witness HAS TO BE a former witness.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

When I was a JW, using the NWT of that scripture, I would have understood it to mean that one who was 'conscious of his or her spiritual need' would be inclined to seek for the Truth (TM) and would thus be more likely to inherit the Kingdom paradise. After all, eternal life results from "taking in knowledge," right?

Tom

"Gentlemen, he said, I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes, I've moved your mountains and marked your cards. But Eden is burning"
    --Bob Dylan
  • RunningMan
    RunningMan

According to JWs, being "concious of your spiritual need" means that you must go to every meeting and convention, because that is where your spiritual needs are met. If you are not at every stinking meeting, then you are not "concious of your spiritual need", and happiness is impossible.

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

That is an excellent question...I will have to write that down ;)

Lizard

• RevFranklin
    RevFranklin

One needs to remember that the New World's Translation of the Holy Spirit is not the Holy Bible,so the WatchTower changes words and phrases at will.

• Bang
    Bang

The you poor in "blessed are you poor" didn't want any material wealth, even later - they didn't simply happen to be poor because of social inabilities - they were poor in spirit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit