How long until the "Generation" gets Revised/Dropped?

by Lemonp 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• user100
    user100
    so was it there before and intentionally dropped?
  • Absalom
    Absalom

The updated insight book has removed the last paragraph that talked about tying the Generation to 1914.

If anything, I think they will have to go away from 1914.

• Lemonp
    Lemonp

It's funny because all the wrong teachings are interconnected! If the "generation" is wrong... then the time of the end is.... and the coming of the kingdom at 1914 is too??

They cant letup on one without it affecting others

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Absalom, thanks. So they've removed a whole paragraph. Well that's why I went to the next page, I thought there's something missing here. So basically like other churches they are moving to the teaching that the second coming will come .... one day.
  • sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

You guys need to look at the Seventh Day Adventist. Most of us know that William Miller took the day for a year principle and predicted the end to happen in 1844. Fast forward some decades and through him Russell got the day for a year concept and 1914 from Barbour. Anyway, the Adventist movement now proclaims over 18 million members. Yet here is what they believe about 1844 today in the year 2015.

• Heavenly sanctuary (fundamental belief 24)—At his ascension, Jesus Christ commenced an atoning ministry in the heavenly sanctuary. In 1844, he began to cleanse the heavenly sanctuary in fulfillment of the Day of Atonement.
    • Investigative Judgment (fundamental belief 24)—A judgment of professed Christians began in 1844, in which the books of record are examined for all the universe to see. The investigative judgment will affirm who will receive salvation, and vindicate God in the eyes of the universe as just in his dealings with mankind.

So what was once the "end of the world" prediction has morphed into this now over 150 years later. 1914 will be the same for JWs as 1844 was to the adventist movement. It will always be around just with new explanations.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Just to be clear....

This is the section from the 2012 WT LIB

“This Generation” of Christ’s Prophecies. When Bible prophecy speaks of “this generation,” it is necessary to consider the context to determine what generation is meant. Jesus Christ, when denouncing the Jewish religious leaders, concluded by saying: “Truly I say to you, All these things will come upon this generation.” History recounts that about 37 years later (in 70 C.E.) that contemporary generation personally experienced the destruction of Jerusalem, as foretold.—Mt 23:36.
    Later that same day, Jesus again used practically the same words, saying: “Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.” (Mt 24:34) In this instance, Jesus was answering a question regarding the desolation of Jerusalem and its temple as well as regarding the sign of his presence and of the conclusion of the system of things. Before his reference to “this generation,” however, he had focused his remarks specifically on his “coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory” and the nearness of the Kingdom of God. Immediately afterward, he continued with references to his “presence.” (Mt 24:30, 37, 39; Lu 21:27, 31) Jesus was using the word “generation” with reference to humans whose lives would in some way be associated with the foretold events.—Mt 24.
    The people of this 20th-century generation living since 1914 have experienced these many terrifying events concurrently and in concentrated measure—international wars, great earthquakes, terrible pestilences, widespread famine, persecution of Christians, and other conditions that Jesus outlined in Matthew chapter 24, Mark chapter 13, and Luke chapter 21.

This is the section from the WOL:
    “This Generation” of Christ’s Prophecies. When Bible prophecy speaks of “this generation,” it is necessary to consider the context to determine what generation is meant. Jesus Christ, when denouncing the Jewish religious leaders, concluded by saying: “Truly I say to you, All these things will come upon this generation.” History recounts that about 37 years later (in 70 C.E.) that contemporary generation personally experienced the destruction of Jerusalem, as foretold.—Mt 23:36.

Later that same day, Jesus again used practically the same words, saying: “Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.” (Mt 24:34) In this instance, Jesus was answering a question regarding the desolation of Jerusalem and its temple as well as regarding the sign of his presence and of the conclusion of the system of things. So his comment about “this generation” logically had an application down to 70 C.E. However, he was also using the word “generation” with reference to humans whose lives would in some way be associated with the foretold events during his presence.—Mt 24.

I think it is interesting they have not mentioned the current understanding and removed the justification for application in the modern day. They have honed that down to one sentence containing the ambiguous phase "whose lives would in some way".
    This very easily could be a step in the direction of dropping the generation teaching or, pushing it to something so abstract so as to be meaningless.
    Time will tell...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You heard it here on JWN first folks !

If it pans out as we think, then it will be proof positive to any honest-hearted JW that they are simply men making up expedient B.S to keep the scam going, and the $$$ rolling in.

• doinmypart
    doinmypart
    They did more than just remove that final paragraph. They also edited the remaining paragraph.
    2012 WT Lib
    Later that same day, Jesus again used practically the same words, saying: “Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.” (Mt 24:34) In this instance, Jesus was answering a question regarding the desolation of Jerusalem and its temple as well as regarding the sign of his presence and of the conclusion of the system of things. [THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES ARE REVISED] Before his reference to “this generation,” however, he had focused his remarks specifically on his “coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory” and the nearness of the Kingdom of God. Immediately afterward, he continued with references to his “presence.” (Mt 24:30, 37, 39; Lu 21:27, 31) Jesus was using the word “generation” with reference to humans whose lives would in some way be associated with the foretold events.—Mt 24.
    [THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH IS REMOVED]
    The people of this 20th-century generation living since 1914 have experienced these many terrifying events concurrently and in concentrated measure—international wars, great earthquakes, terrible pestilences, widespread famine, persecution of Christians, and other conditions that Jesus outlined in Matthew chapter 24, Mark chapter 13, and Luke chapter 21.

May 18,2015 WOL
    Later that same day, Jesus again used practically the same words, saying: “Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.” (Mt 24:34) In this instance, Jesus was answering a question regarding the desolation of Jerusalem and its temple as well as regarding the sign of his presence and of the conclusion of the system of things. So his comment about “this generation” logically had an application down to 70 C.E. However, he was also using the word “generation” with reference to humans whose lives would in some way be associated with the foretold events during his presence.—Mt 24.
  • Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

The current Governing Body members are weak men. They are ready to pick up any suggestion proposed so long as it keeps them in their positions.

In the 50's my sister played with paper dolls. She would cut out the various costumes and place them on the cardboard cutouts.

The members of the current Governing Body are paper dolls ready to put on whatever their Helpers say is good.

Sad, sad men.

Frank

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Ways that I see the Governing Body can update their interpretation of "This Generation:"

1. Say that "this Generation" simply refers to all of the Anointed, and Jesus was saying there would always be some faithful Anointed Christians on earth. (Matthew 28:20)
    2. Say that "this Generation" refers to the entire Christian Congregation replacing Israel as God's "chosen race." (1 Peter 2:9)
    3. Say that "this Generation" only applied to the people living while Jesus was speaking, and this was fulfilled in 70 A.D. (Use their new Types/Antitypes Rule to justify this change)
    4. Say that "this Generation" begins with the Cry of Peace & Security/Outbreak of the Tribulation. (1 Thessalonians 5:1-5)
    5. Say that "this Generation" refers to wicked religious leaders/clergy such as the Pharisees. Jesus was saying unfortunately the clergy would always be with us until the Tribulation. (Acts 20:29)
    6. Say that "this Generation" refers to the foundation of the "Disgusting Thing" (United Nations) on October 24th, 1945, and that a generation is around 100 years.
    7. Say that "this Generation" was referring to the Jewish people. As part of God's unconditional promise to Abraham, God feels obligated to keep some Jews alive at all times so they have the opportunity to hear the Good News and be saved. (Romans 11)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit