JW, JR and the Truth about Shunning, which is it??

by umtiger 5 Replies latest jw friends

• umtiger
    umtiger

From the official MEDIA website of JW's here's a link
    http://www.jw-media.org/beliefs/beliefsfaq.htm

Do you shun former members?

Those who simply cease to be involved in the faith are not shunned. In compliance with the Scriptures, however, members can be expelled for serious unchristian conduct, such as stealing, drunkenness, or adultery, if they do not repent and cease such actions.
    Disfellowshipping does not sever family ties. Disfellowshipped members may continue to attend religious services, and if they wish, they may receive pastoral visits. They are always welcome to return to the faith.—1 Corinthians 5:11-13.

IN the interview with Barbara Anderson she made the statement:

"Most people don't understand what disfellowship would mean for a Witness. What I would lose is my family. Witnesses are not to associate with anyone who has been disfellowshipped," she said. While she would remain married to Joe, a congregation elder, Anderson said, her relationship with her son, also an elder, her daughter-in-law and her young grandchild would be jeopardized.

Jr Brown the spin clown next said:
    The consequences of excommunication are severe for a reason, Brown said. It is hoped that the harsh isolation that disfellowshipped members feel will draw them back to the organization.
    Other members of the faith are not allowed to speak to disfellowshipped members. They can't greet them in a store or share a meal with them. Live-in family members can speak to the person but never about spiritual issues.

An article in The Watchtower, September 15, 1981, on page 29 under the
    heading "DISFELLOWSHIPPED RELATIVES NOT LIVING AT HOME" has this to say:

The second situation that we need to consider is that involving a disfellowshipped or disassociated relative who is not in the immediate family circle or living at one's home. Such a person is still related by blood or marriage, and so there may be some limited need to care for necessary family matters. Nonetheless, it is not as if he were living in the same home where contact and conversation could not be avoided. We should keep clearly in mind the Bible's inspired direction: "Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person . . . not even eating with such a man."--1 Corinthians 5:11.

So in accordance with this last statement they are implying that almost all contact except when "necessary family matters" are concerned, shunning is in effect, and by the statement, "it is not as if he were living in the same home where contact and conversation could not be avoided" sublty enforces that one should avoid contact unless living in the same household, and then, limited contact at best.

So, I ask you,.... Is Barbara Anderson's fears of shunning justified???

My thoughts............ Yes Indeed

NO MORE SPIN Junior!

All That Could Never Be Said
    All That Could Never Be Done
    Will Wait for Us At Last,
    Somewhere Behind The Sun

• outnfree
    outnfree

Good eyes, umtiger!

Anyone of little means who is walking in his integrity is better than the one crooked in his lips, and the one that is stupid. -- Proverbs 19:1

outnfree

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts -- John Wooden

• Will Power
    Will Power

SEE
    its not your imagination.

They really treat people that way.
    They are told to do it and they do.
    Then they turn around and try and say that they don't do it.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Great Dective Work!!!!!

Brown,
    I mean what I meant to say, was that I meant to say I really mean I must have meant what I meant to have said when I mean to say I meant to say what I said before, I mean it now stop taking words out of my mouth, I really meant to say what I mean, please in the meantime look into the new light on the matter in question because I forgot what I was told to say, and mean to point out that I meant to say was "New Light" You understand what I mean?

C

When the pain of being where we are, becomes greater than our fear of letting go...we will risk and heal and grow.

• worldly girl
    worldly girl

Good call Tiger! I think I'll share a portion of a conversation that I had w/ my (physical) sister.... Here's a brief snyopsis of the conversation: It had to do w/ our BORG parents giving me, my oldest sister, and my brother "conditional" love.....I said to my borg sister (the other 2 are smart like me: He's DF'd/She's Inactive, like me)"no matter what my child (I have a 3 yr old)might do, I would love her anyway, I would NEVER turn my back on my child. I might disagree w/ her choices, but I would never have conditions on my love for her". Her response you ask? "Even if it meant that she would die, you'd love her anyway"?.... My answer:"yes I would, and all the more so". How sick and twisted is that? Coincidentally, she has no children, and can NOT have children, therefore she will live her whole live believing in the borg, and believeing she has some sort of clue about the love you have for your children, based only on what she "thinks" she has with our parents......I pity her, I truely do. How many people do you know in the borg that has no children, that thinks they have it figured out about children??? Anyhow just had to share....I also pointed out to her that, the bible teaches love, without conditions, it's the most sacred institution in the bible, and yet "the organization rips families apart". She disagreed w/ me when I told her the policy that Umtiger quoted from, which is on the "Official WTBS" website.....she said I had the wrong website....unfortunatly I don't have her email address...as we've barely spoken in 2 years because I'm not "doing what I'm supposed to be doing"!!

Funny, my life is sooo peaceful without them in it!!

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms!!

WG

• umtiger
    umtiger

Hey sis,.... who tha hell U callin' DF'd????
    Who me.... I DON'T THINK SO!
    I live not by totalitarian religious rules of a man,.. I cannot be disfellowshipped by anyone.
    However I do choose to shun those that follow such man made procedures.... hehe

All That Could Never Be Said
    All That Could Never Be Done
    Will Wait for Us At Last,
    Somewhere Behind The Sun

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit