Should I Make My Wife Watch the May Broadcast?

by TTATTelder 55 Replies latest jw friends

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Pete,

I see your point. I will say though, I respect the overall sentiment of Russell in that quote. Whether it was sincere or not, he acknowledged that God owns all the riches of the universe, and if an organization needs funds it means that organization is without God's backing.

Of course, I am sure there was a coupon or offer in the same journal for some subscription or books for sale by mail order (if not multiple offers), so it all boils down to how you define the terms like "petition" being used in the quote.

The point could also be made that the jw broadcast is the literature of today. It certainly is digital content straight from the horse's mouth.

I had a brief convo with the wife a few minutes ago. She asked about my demeanor lately. I told her I don't like what I'm seeing in the organization and mentioned the deceit and money focus. She listened pretty well, but rebutted along the lines of "Well God has had problems in his organization in the past" blah blah. Anyhow I don't want to say too much, but we are supposed to watch the broadcast when we get a chance. I get the feeling that she doesn't really want to watch it. Must be the CD kicking in.

-TE

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Pete, "Technically, Russell's statement above was specifically made about the magazine Zion's Watch Tower"

And I'm sure some have lawyered up and answer along those lines.

If anyone tried to tell me some stupid shit like that, I'd just shake my head and roll my eyes in obvious disdain, "Are you serious? 'cause if you are, then you should get out your checkbook."

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

‘All the gold and silver of the mountains are mine,’ fails to provide necessary funds, we will understand it to be time to suspend the publication.”

To me, Russell's comment is saying that the amount of funds they take in, is directly proportionate to the amount of approval they have from Jehovah. If the necessary funding fails to be provided, they will take that as a sign that Jehovah isn't backing them. If Jehovah isn't backing them, rather than solicit for money, they'd suspend or reexamine their current activities . If that is the case with the publishing of a magazine, it would be all the more so the case with the rest of their activities that also need funding to continue.

That was the premise this religion was originally founded on and it makes sense that if this is the true religion and it is being backed by Jehovah, then it would have everything it needs, all of the time. Didn't Jesus say he could even make the very stones cry out if need be, to get the preaching work done?

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

So to give a quick update... the wife watched it. She basically said she understands where I'm coming from with my complaints about the money focus and deceitful tactics, but...... She went straight to "well if there are problems then jehovah will reveal them in time... There are many examples of problems in Jehovah's organization in the past blah blah"

very frustrating - it's like she could see my points to a certain extent but then the indoctrination kicks in.

-TE

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

TTATTelder

So frustrating! We see our family members do the same thing. It's like the Stepford wives.

Hang in there. Don't give up hope!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    if there are problems then jehovah will reveal them in time

What if he is revealing it? There are examples in the bible of god's organization going astray (mostly bad kings) but most of the time it resulted in the deaths of thousands that were just trying to follow along and remain loyal to god's organization. So it's not something to be unsure of or take lightly.

• HeyThere
    HeyThere
    Um, read some of the comments on jwtalk before making the decision to show...some of the witness comments on there are simply frightening...
  • LAWHFol
    LAWHFol

TTATT - If you watch it with her, perhaps you could somehow, bring up the Child Abuse Lawsuits. At 9:44 in the Video, the weirdo says that Contribution Funds, are not Misappropriated (Definition - "to put to a wrong use.") I wonder if your wife feels that Millions of Dollars in Contributions, supposedly Given to Jehovah, are put to a good use, paying Legal Fees, for the actions of Pedophiles. - Perhaps finish the topic, with "Would Jesus pay for this?"

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

My mother pulled out the imperfect organization line one too many times until my ever conservative at the mouth sister finally blurted out, "Well, I don't WANT to be involved with an imperfect organization!"

Well done, sis.

It's really a stupid argument when you think about it. Your argument in favor of the org is that it's imperfect? So, if an organization is perfect then that's bad? But yet we must strive for perfection? But, if we fail, then that proves its God's organization?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Great comment one eyed Joe!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit