Any advice?

by InChristAlone 8 Replies latest jw friends

• InChristAlone
    InChristAlone

I was told a very heartbreaking story last night. One of my childhood friends adopted two kids from Africa several years ago. These kids have had very severe anger management issues and have been in regular therapy. After more than three years, the reason just now came to light. These kids were kidnapped from their homes and Africa and sold to an orphanage. They were both old enough to remember. From there, they were legally adopted to live here in the United States. The orphanage has recently been closed down and the guilty will soon be tried in court. My friend and her husband were able to locate and contact the parents of the kids, and the kids have been conversing with them. Of course, both sets of families are beside themselves. To top it off, Africa will not accept the kids back because they were legally adopted. What advice could possibly be given in this sad situation?

• AnneB
    AnneB

They don't need advice, they need empathy.

• finally awake
    finally awake

that is truly a heartbreaking story.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Yeah, empathy, poor things. I'm glad they were able to talk with their real parents. Sad situation -- I wonder how much scamming goes on in international adoptions?

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

What country are the children from? What is its U.N. status?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Someone needs to get a better lawyer. How is it possible to 'legally' adopt a kidnap victim?

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

these kids must be returned to their birth parents and there must be some way to get these kids back to their birth parents. A no from an African official often is an attempt to be given an incentive to say yes. I am sure various human rights bodies would be interested in this. I would suggest persisting and not taking no as an answer.

• KateWild
    KateWild

What a frustrating and sad story, to be separated from parents in the formative years is just horrific for the children and parents. I have no advice, because I don't see how the adoption could be classed as legal if the children were kidnapped. It's really hard to accept this is the case. I hope the parents and the children are reunited soon. Its nice there has been some contact, good for the adoptive parents for doing the right thing.

Kate xx

• InChristAlone
    InChristAlone

Thanks for the thoughts. I can't answer some of your questions because my mom relayed the story to me, and I don't know all of the information. Thanks again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit