Is the GB considered the 12 Apostles?

by Double Edge 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Excuse my ignorance, but as some of you know I've never been a JW. My question is about the Governing Board (GB...right?): Since JW's believe that they are the 'Church' that Jesus set up with his 12 Apostles, do they consider the GB the continuation of those Apostles?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

How many secritary's did the twelve apostles have?

I guess this could also mean that the entire writting dept. would be considered the Scribes?

Love is one of life's mysteries, like lightning, it never strikes. For others, like lightning, it strikes several times. So wear a rubber crash helmet
  • MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

no silly ..your thinking of some of the worst
    fashion victims aroud...the "all i wear are white
    short sleave shirts and a black tie w/slacks"

the mormons

• blondie
    blondie

DE, no they do not in the sense the Catholic Church does based on this quote:

Reasoning from the Scriptures page 37
    Apostolic Succession

Definition: The doctrine that the 12 apostles have successors to whom authority has been passed by divine appointment. In the Roman Catholic Church, the bishops as a group are said to be successors of the apostles, and the pope is claimed to be the successor of Peter. It is maintained that the Roman pontiffs come immediately after, occupy the position and perform the functions of Peter, to whom Christ is said to have given primacy of authority over the whole Church. Not a Bible teaching.
    But they do believe that there have been anointed on the earth from 33 CE down to our day acting as the "faithful and discreet slave" of Matthew 24:45 who supposedly feed the anointed spiritually.
  • Amazing
    Amazing

The GB believe that they fill the same role as the 1st Century Jerusalem Congregation which had a number of Apostles there and Elders who together acted as a central church government. The Society did not always believe or teach this, but after they "formally" formed the Governing Body in the 1970s, they changed their application of Acts where the issue of Circumcision was debated in Jerusalem.

What really happened is that the Apostle Paul and Barnabus were dispatched to jerusalem Congregation by the Antioch Congregation to engage in a Matthew 18 style confrontation, whereby the Jerusalem Congregation (men and women, Elders and others) all agreed, repented, and sent out a letter to explain themselves.

The Catholic Church holds a similar view as the Watchtower Society, except this is done with its "College of Cardinals" in Apostolic Succession.

The Mormons actually call their central body, the "12 Apostles" as well as they have the "General Authority". (GA instead of GB)

HOWEVER: In effect, all three groups, the GB, the College, and the LDS 12 all function about the same way ... they Lord it over the lives of those who suscribe to their self-proclaimed authority ... IF I were to make a choice, the only religion that has any legitimate claim that they can truly trace back to the Apostles is the Roman Catholiuc Church.

• thinker
    thinker

Here's some quotes, you decide what they mean....

Russell was said to have "revived the great truths taught by Jesus and the apostles." (see Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose, p. 17)

Christian elders govern by using their "abilities to direct" (Greek ky-ber-NE seis) in providing leadership and guidance in local congregations. (1 Corinthians 12:28) But the apostles and other elders in Jerusalem served as a body to give guidance and counsel to all the congregations. (Acts 15:1,2,27-29) Today, therefore, a governing body of elders provides spiritual oversight for Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide.
    (Watchtower; December 15, 1989; p. 21)

Confident of the loyalty of his faithful creatures, Jehovah delegates authority. So does his Son. From among his anointed followers, "the faithful and discreet slave," he has chosen a few to serve as a visible governing body. (Matthew 24:45) In the first century, this group was composed of the apostles and several older men in Jerusalem.
    (Watchtower; Jan. 15, 1990; p. 26)

They have a modern Governing Body of older Christian men from various parts of the earth who give needed oversight to the worldwide activities of God's people. these men, like the apostles and older men in Jerusalem in the first century, are anointed members of the faithful and discreet slave class designated by Jesus to care for all of his Kingdom interests here upon earth. History has proved that they can be trusted to follow the direction of the holy spirit and that they do not rely on human wisdom in teaching the flock of God the ways of genuine peace.
    (The Watchtower; Dec. 15, 1989; p. 6)

"However, all person who have love for the truth are invited to examine this claim that Jehovah's Witnesses really do have the truth. In doing so, they should imitate what those persons in the first century did who listened to the preaching of the apostles: They received the word with the great eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so."
    (Watchtower July 1, 1979, p. 25)

WT June 1, 82:
    "Today, a remnant of this 'faithful slave' is still alive on earth. They occupy a position similar to that of Paul...when that apostle said of the wonderful truths...:"It is to us God has revealed them through his spirit."

WT 15/01/94, p. 16
    In the past, Jehovah ruled and revealed truths through individuals, such as prophets, kings and apostles. Jesus said that during his royal presence, he would identify a faithful body of followers, a 'faithful and discreet slave'. In 1919 this slave was identified as the remnant of anointed Christians. Since then, as represented by the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, it has been the center of theocracy on earth.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Thanks for all your posts, very enlightening (but different from new light...hehe).

One MAJOR difference that I can see is the original apostles were appointed (or called) by Jesus personally. Even when they had to replace the neck-streched Judas, the Apostles personally decided on the replacement...they didn't take it upon themselves.

In the past, Jehovah ruled and revealed truths through individuals, such as prophets, kings and apostles. Jesus said that during his royal presence, he would identify a faithful body of followers, a 'faithful and discreet slave'. In 1919 this slave was identified as the remnant of anointed Christians. Since then, as represented by the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, it has been the center of theocracy on earth.
    Where in the bible do we find Jesus identifying 'new apostles or prophets'?

Edited for typos.

• RR
    RR

A spade is a spade. Take a good hard look at the Catholic Chyurch and the Watchtower, they are mirror images of each other, they just have different terminology.

• one
    one

i dont know righ now but GB used to be 12 MEMBERS.

I rembember my family talking about it (12=aposttles)

Then Paul came into the picture, you know the mouthy who went blind and then could see better than anyonelse, prolific writter, He event went to the appallate court (or Supreme? The roman emperator). wait i am going off track...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit