Declining membership but building new Kingdom Hall in Stockbridge Georgia

by skeeter1 9 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I hear that the Stockbridge/Henry County, Georgia area has 30 fewer members. The CO has asked for special "reaching out" to those who are not attending. At the same time, it is reported that these congregations in this area are growing fast. So, they bought a new plot of land. The old, Kingdom Hall are paid for, and are owned by the local congregations . A new Kingdom Hall would probably mean a new mortgage. Is this a scam by the Watchtower?

• trujw
    trujw

Not sure of the laws in your state but maybe after Menlo park in CA this a better way to have headquarters take control of the new properties deed and be wholly owned by the Watchtower.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I have to say when ever I hear things like this my respect for the organisation, just plummets.

• WhoYourDaddy
    WhoYourDaddy

lather rinse repeat.

• blondie
    blondie

In the US, the WTS has set up the congregations under the Federal/IRS laws regarding religious non-profit organizations. Under those laws the congregation does not own the land and building. Three elders in the congregation that holds the territory the KH is in are selected as trustees. Legally they make the decisions regarding the land and building and once a year receive a form to fill out confirming their non-tax status. The only way the WTS can legally take control is to dissolve that ccongregation and takeover as the parent religious non-profit organzation.

How it works in other countries, I'm not aware of the details. Can the WTS verbally influence/force this congregation to do its bidding, probably. But there must not be something in writing that gets in the hands of the government or they can lose their non-profit status in the US.

The best source of information is the IRS website itself.

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Churches-&-Religious-Organizations

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Charitable-Organizations/Exemption-Requirements-Section-501(c)(3)-Organizations

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Same thing happening here in TN. moved out members of a ld congregation to build a new one. It was not over crowded. They are now sharing a hall , still not overcrouded. But ultimatly, yes, they will have an inflated mortgage to pay the HQ when finished with all the donated time and materials, and the congregation will be called on weekly to help pay that mortgage off while the HQ retains all control. ( can you say guarenteed revenue stream and money laundring?)

I sure hope the menlo Ca case goes farther and captures the HQ piercing of thier own corporate veil of protections and gets them for money laundering and fraud.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Did someone say ...SCAM!

Closely related to this topic is a similar attempt to swindle money by WT began about 6 months in Los Angeles County, California.

Here is a copy of the form entitled 'HOUSEHOLD FINANCIAL SURVEY' that was sent out to all family heads of each congregation in that area with the goal of collectioning some $200 million to 'supposedly' (in other words no one knows for sure what the money will be used for) to build 72 new kingdom halls:

Pay particular attention to the directive (at the bottom) about what to do with the forms once they have served their purpose!

• factfinder
    factfinder

I noticed on the list of congregations at jw.org that 3 congregations in my area are missing. In my town there were two English speaking congregations when I left, now there is only one.

In the neighboring town there were two congregations, now none are listed there.

Witnesses are never seen going door to door in our area.

I guess there is so much increase taking place that the local publishers no longer have to go door to door!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Getting the ownership of KHs out of the hands of local congregations and into the hands of the WT corporation is a high - albeit never spoken of - priority.

I suspect the Org accountants have projected a steady decline in future revenue flow (for a number of reasons) and thusly the need for material assets, and real estate is the most reliable investment there is.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

factfinder,

I too have noticed a marked decrease in d2d activities. Asidef from last years memorial invitation when I answered the door and sternly cut off the presentationi with " We are on the do not call list now. I woud appreciate that to be respected, thank you and goodby". The complete drop in the fakesmile onher face was sad and humerous at the same time.

Hopwever even before I even knew of the DNC list I noticed a huge drop in d2d. I now have handy labels with jwfacts.com on them so I can quickly place it on a tract and return it to the person if EVER they set foor on my porch again.

My husband was at first super annoyed at the knocking, I answered asI was dressed, then when he fiinally found out who it was changed his enitre attitudeand looked out the window to see who was out there. His mind did a 180. I reminded him later, calmly and in passing, of his drastic behavior change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit