Authorship of Isaiah

by kaik 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kaik
    kaik

I am sure this topics was mentioned here many times, but when I search it, I get a lot of hits without finding anything. My JW relatives now talks about this book as part of their studies Isaiah's Prophecy: Light for All Mankind. I would like to know where I can find out more about the authorship of this book. Were there two or three authors? I had read many contradicting articles, but I am undecided which one is the correct or most probable answer. So I am reaching out to you for your opinions.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Ha! I bet you were hoping someone really intelligent was going to post on your thread, and explain everything about Isaiah- but alas, there is only me, lol.
    Look, you have two options- one is to learn the old Hebrew language, and master the art of textual criticism, then take a jet to Israel and study the original scroll to make up your own mind… or you could just accept the opinion of the majority of scholars who have already done that.
    Personally I think it is just easier to learn from others… here’s a quote from Reader’s Digest Mysteries of The Bible (1988):

The contents of the Book of Isaiah bear out the dual nature of God's call. Many of the prophecies in the first 39 chapters warn that destruction is the inevitable consequence of sin. Yet interspersed with these forebodings are promises of happier days when a purified Jewish people will lead all mankind toward a better world.
    Beginning with chapter 40, the tone of the book shifts. Gone are the rebukes and denunciations. Instead, consolation is the keynote, almost as if God, having punished his people beyond their just deserts, wishes to make amends: "Comfort, comfort my people, says your God" (Isaiah 40:1).
    While the contrast between the two halves of the Book of Isaiah has long been evident, only in modern times did scholars infer that the prophecies of two-perhaps three-different people living at different times are collected in this book.
    There is now general agreement that Isaiah's first 39 chapters reflect conditions in Judah in the eighth-seventh century B.C., while the rest of the book, with its emphasis on national rejuvenation, emerged out of the experience of the exiled Jews in Babylonia two centuries later. Indeed, in 45:1 there is even a direct reference to the Persian King Cyrus as the man who would overthrow the Babylonian forces and would allow the Jews to return to their homeland. Scholars refer to the unknown author of these later prophecies as Deutero-Isaiah or Second Isaiah. Many authorities also believe that the last 11 chapters were composed many years later by yet a third "Isaiah," perhaps one of the returnees to Judah under Persian rule.

Or you could try Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Isaiah

Hope this helps, lol.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

I am convinced that Isaiah is a book written about the end times.

It's about Christianity and what happens to it.

I don't not see any reason to doubt its authorship in any way.

Another conviction I have is that it is the Jehovah's Witnessess who are fulfilling the prophecies in this book.

To begin understanding my conviction I recommend that you watch the video; "Jehovah's Witnesses Covenant With Death" which examines the prophecy in Isaiah Chapter 28.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFBXykSerq8

Everything the bible said would happen is really happening!

abe

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

If you're really searching for an understanding, then you could try this Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Isaiah

Virtually, no-one in the scholarly community believes this book was written by one author as a prophecy concerning the era covered. Nonetheless the book is claimed to be a major influence in the formation of Christian beliefs and hopes.

I know it too well - back in the day when we gave potted sermonettes at the door, quotations from Isaiah, such as Isa. 11: 6,7 featured prominently in those presentations. Placed a lot of publications with that text.

File:William Strutt Peace 1896.jpg

Painting by William Strutt, 1896.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit