When you were a JW, how did you find the time to prepare your talks?

by Iamallcool 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

At home? At work?

• hellenback
    hellenback

Lets face anyone with half a brain can prepare a 10 min talk for the ministry school within 10-15 mins. I never took more than 10-15 mins to write a talk because as soon as I got it I would have something worked in.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I didn't prepare. It is not hard to read well the Bible. and I just talked about the theme and not worried about what the supporting material is.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

When I was young , inexperienced and had time - I agonised and spent ages on them.

As I got more experienced, and busier , so the prep time reduced. In the end those darn Service Meeting items were virtual talk throughs and asking the obvious questions just to fill up the time. They did not want anything added anyway.. You find most Public Speakes have a repertoire of prepared ones and a quick read the night before is all they do....

• blondie
    blondie

Women rarely have 2 maybe 3 talks total in a year. Maybe a householder twice. Finding time, probably could buy time out of tv viewing. Now men could have talks on the school, the service meeting, conduct the WT study or a book study from the past, and giving public talks (my husband gave one or 2 a month, conducted the school, and had a part every week on the service meeting). Giving a talk once every 6 weeks on the school was nothing.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Since I left the JWs in 1984, things have probably changed a lot at the KH since then. But back then most SM parts were relatively easy to prepare and I generally worked them up after work the night before the meeting. The MS talk #1 (the Instruction Talk) was 15 minutes long and was often an actual Bible discussion, and so needed several hours to prepare, which was done over several evenings after work.

The JW culture was different then. Most of us who served as elders took our responsiblity seriously and prepared our parts for the benefit of the flock. So we took whatever time was necessary to prepare. Because we were allowed some individuality, our meetings weren't as boreing as they would later become.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The idiot that dragged me into the cancer wanted me wasting 6 hours or more on a Number Two talk. I found out that coming up with a single key phrase for an intro, a break, and conclusion was enough--about 5 minutes. A #4 talk involved looking up 2-3 scriptures from the damnation book, and building a discussion around that. Due to the False Reasoning book having the answers I was supposed to use, it took around 5-10 minutes, mostly to come up with a quick line for an intro and a conclusion. Too much was already given to justify spending more than that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit