"Worse And Worse"? (Nope)

by metatron 3 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

http://www.businessinsider.com/50-reasons-its-the-best-time-in-history-2014-1

I would quibble with the life expectancy a little ( averages derived from a time with higher infant mortality) but still pretty good.

metatron

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yes the tire canards of end-time religions like Watchtowerism fly in the face of actual social trends. They decry worldwide war for example, which is strictly a phenomenon of the first half of the 20th century. They used to decry air and water pollution as signs that man is "ruining the earth" (Revelation 11:18) and so the end must be near. Since then, many modern / modernizing countries (aside from India and China) have seen dramatic improvements in air and water quality.

However, people see what they want to see - and religious leaders will spin things as they wish - but the JW's are looking more and more like the lonely man on the street corner proclaiming "the end is near" with nobody in particular really listening.

• sir82
    sir82

Life got a little (or a lot, if you were in Russia, Germany, etc.) worse for wealthy white folks starting around 1914.

For the other 99.99% of the human population, things have gotten astronomically better over the past 100 years.

A slightly inconvenient fact that somehow never makes it into "Awake!".

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I can imagine having a "Life of Brian" type discussion with a JW, based on the"What have the Romans ever done for us " bit.

J.W "Things are really getting worse and worse since 1914"

Phizzy "Yea, apart from the invention of Aspirin"

JW "Well, I'll give you that, gets rid of headaches and thins the blood, I suppose"

Phizzy "Yea,and Anti-Biotics"

JW "Well, yes, they have really helped solve a lot of health problems"

Phizzy "And Genetically modified crops"

JW "Well, I know they have helped with food production, but there are dangers you know"

Phizzy" Yea, but the guy whose family can now eat is real pleased with them !"

Phizzy then goes into overdrive, "Transplants, Communications, Computers/Internet ............................."

JW " Well, I give you those 303 thiings, but things are definately getting worse."

"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit