New Doscovery about Noahs Ark (cue mystery music)

by Jon Preston 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

'The Ark Before Noah' - curator Irving Finkel decodes the story of the Flood

Irving Finkel, curator in charge of cuneiform clay tablets at the British Museum, poses with the 4000 year old clay tablet containing the story of the Ark and the flood during the launch of his book 'The Ark Before Noah' at the British Museum in London, Friday Jan. 24, 2014. The book tells how he decoded the story of the Flood and offers a new understanding of the Old Testament's central narratives and how the flood story entered into it. (AP Photo/Sang Tan)

It was a vast boat that saved two of each animal and a handful of humans from a catastrophic flood.

But forget all those images of a long vessel with a pointy bow — the original Noah's Ark, new research suggests, was round.

A recently deciphered 4,000-year-old tablet from ancient Mesopotamia — modern-day Iraq — reveals striking new details about the roots of the Old Testament tale of Noah. It tells a similar story, complete with detailed instructions for building a giant round vessel known as a coracle — as well as the key instruction that animals should enter "two by two."

The tablet went on display at the British Museum on Friday, and soon engineers will follow the ancient instructions to see whether the vessel could actually have sailed.

It's also the subject of a new book, "The Ark Before Noah," by Irving Finkel, the museum's assistant keeper of the Middle East and the man who translated the tablet.

Iiiiiiiiiiinteresting eh? Maybe it will explain the kangaroo and koala questions nagging at my brains ;-)

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Sure....now all we need to get around is the huge list of impossibilities to make the Flood story plausible.... the question of a square, pointy or round boat is the least of the problems.

• St George of England
    St George of England

However, Finkel does not believe the boat was ever built.

He also suggests the story is much older than Noah's ark.

George

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

........will modern researchers one day attempt to build a tower to heaven? I hope they take google translate with them if they do...

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

that's the thing that bible believers can't accept -- that the stories in the bible are based on older similar stories from the wider area. Lots of ancient mythology, accepted as god's word by modern believers.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Hortensia said: that's the thing that bible believers can't accept -- that the stories in the bible are based on older similar stories from the wider area. Lots of ancient mythology, accepted as god's word by modern believers.

I just want to add that the traditions continues and people keep adding to the old. Gotta love it!!

• Django_Unchained
    Django_Unchained

it'd be awesome if scholars grew some sack and called it all out for the bs that it is.

"a deranged man hearing voices in his head supposedly building a boat out of wood with no heavy machinery and only his crackpot kids and wife to help build and then stuff 2 of every animal inside..."

very believable

i was in a store the other night and spotted bill oreilly's book, killing jeebus. out of curiosity, i picked it up to see how the 'miracles' were 'handled' in the story

surprise surprise, not a mention of one.

not the water to booze story

the only mention i saw (and mind you it was some relatively quick perusing, but 20 minutes or so aint bad) was the part where john the baptist was told of the 'miracles' that were supposedly happening.

what i found hilarious was fat-o trying to weave in how "burdened jeebus and his town were with the taxes". i guess he never saw that caesars to caesars verse?

maybe jeebus did everything for free so he wouldn't have to pay sales tax

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit