Any one have any dealings with.......AD/HD?

by lydia 8 Replies latest jw friends

• lydia
    lydia

Just a Question -

Anyone else here ( I know you do MommyDark) have experience with Attention Deficiet/ Hyperactivity Disorder??

I'm just looking for some help onit..
    thanks..
    Lyd

• ballistic
    ballistic

lydia, just some constructive critisism. If you were designing your thread as a web page, you would have had more useful hits calling it Attention Deficiet/ Hyperactivity Disorder rather than Re: Any one have any dealings with.......?
    You see, everybody, no matter who they are, have had to expend the time to click on this whether they have the attention span to be able to consider it or not.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Hi Lydia,

Yes, maybe change the title of the thread. I just clicked out of curiousity.

Anyway, yes, I have knowledge of ADHD. Now, mind you, I have strong opinions about it. I think it's over diagnosed and over the years the bar has been gradually raised over what exactly constitutes ADHD. Someone who is very experienced and knowledgable with diagnosing children(I am assuming it's a child)should be consulted with this disorder.

Both of my children had(my daughter) and have(my son) "issues" with Hyper-activity. It has been suggested that both of my children had and have ADHD. With my eldest, my daughter, I consulted with 3 different professionals. One diagnosed ADHD, the other two disagreed.
    I also disagreed, but wanted to be absolutely positive for the sake of my child. She did need intervention for expressive and receptive language delays that contributed to her hyper-activity and cognitive learning abilities.

Now, it has been suggested my son has ADHD. Drugs have been suggested. Again, I don't agree with that, however, I am now arranging for him to be tested professionally also. Same speech and language delays with him too.

ADHD can be very tricky to diagnose. Too many kids have been "labeled" with ADHD that don't have it. And then there are kids that are langishing that have ADHD and are not receiving proper intervention.

If you would like to discuss it in more detail, my email is open.

Andee

• Solace
    Solace

I am concerned with my son.
    He seems very impulsive and has a very hard time sitting still.
    He cant even sit through an entire meal. I worry about him starting school. I guess we are still evaluating and arent seriously thinking medication or anything just yet. I hate to rush into anything since hes so young. I would feel awful though if he was constantly in trouble at school. Its starting at preschool, he disrupts lunch since he cant sit still so the teachers sometimes have him sit at a seperate table. Hes actually a very happy, good natured child and I worry about him becomming angry or violent if he is always being scolded.
    I am definatly keeping a close eye and plan on getting different opinions. Can you imagine not being able to concentrate, focus, sit through a meal or any other event that would require being still or quiet. It must be so stressful for these people. I have heard of people being suicidal because of the stress. I think it can become a very serious issue if it isnt caught and treated.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Heaven,

It's never too early to help children like yours. Get as many opinions as you can. And learn all you can about ADHD and how it may, or may not, relate to your son. YOU have to become the expert and advocate for your child.

Again, it's never to early to start intervention and treatment. In fact, it may save you, and your son, years of frustration.

It's better to know now.

I wish you well.

Email me if you like.

Andee

• Solace
    Solace

Thanks Andee,
    I will be in touch.
    Sometimes we find ourselves being frustrated with him because he just cant seem to calm down. I think I yell at my husband more though. I seem to constantly say, "he cant help it, he just cant sit still, its not his fault". I am not against medication, I have heard of some children becomming violent or angry on certain meds though. I definatly want him to get a handle on it before he starts having problems socially.
    Thanks again.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Heaven,

I can so much relate to your experience with your son. Mine is 5, almost 6, and he is a handful. And I do the same thing with my husband. The "he can't help it" or "he doesn't understand what you expect of him".

He is absolutely one of the most loving kids around. Very huggie, kissie. However, my life is greatly restricted because, well, I just can't take him anywhere! My daughter was the same way, but with intervention, she greatly improved by his age now. It seems to be more prevalent and longer lasting in boys.

I am not completely against medicating. However, only as a LAST resort. There can be serious consequences with the various stimulants that are prescribed to children for ADHD. The dosages have to be constantly monitered, and sometimes, altered. Plus, the side affects have to be considered. Then, there are times when the meds lose their affectiveness and have to be switched.

However, I do know that some kids have greatly benefitted from these drugs. I just think that many parents and school officials want it to be fixed, and fixed, now. My viewpoint is always what is in the best interest of the child.

Seems yours is too.

Andee

• rmayer32
    rmayer32

Heaven,

My oldest son was the same way. He had a really hard time sitting still and concentrating for very long and would be pretty naughty at times. Once he started school it got worse as I wasn't wanting to medicate him at all. The school though did a test on him with watching him play for periods of time and giving him certain tasks to see how he reacted. They decided he had a little bit of ADHD and recommended Ritalin. He takes 3 5mg tablets a day during the school week that is. His grades in school went up and he hasn't been a behavior problem since. I don't give him the stuff on weekends and this summer the doctor is wanting to take him off and see how he reacts as a lot of times they can safely go away from the meds and be just fine.

If any advice I could give would be don't be afraid of medication but make sure they don't over medicate as that would be no good at all. Plus if he does start taking something and it works you might try giving him less on weekends etc..

-Rick

• lydia
    lydia

I appreciate the suggestion to change the thread name - and I will do so ( sorry about that [:|)] )
    My son was diagnosed several years ago - and even with behavioral interventions and counciling - we still need the medication ( he is on Concerta) I have found from my own experince that if he goes off the Meds - he is a total mess - unable to walk from one room to do anything in another - he gets distracted 1/2 way there...

I encourage all to really get the testing done..

Thanks for the input!!

Lyd

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit