2014 Pew Research on US Religion

by adjusted knowledge 14 Replies latest jw friends

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

The Pew survey I've been reading is quite lengthy, but filled with interesting information. It really explains a lot of the social issues. Impact of little education, donation issues, the issues of women finding marriage partners. It is a nice snap shot of the JW world.

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/

I thought back in the 90's when I was active that JW made up about 2% of the population. However they only make up .8%. I could be wrong but I thought it was more twenty years ago.

My main comment is that in the last 20 years the racial composition of the religion has dramatically changed to minorities. This could help explain the money shortage they claim. A huge rise in black and Hispanic membership which are traditionally lower income in American society, will impact donations. I know it varies from congregation to congregation but historically the two growing demographics (Blacks & Hispanics) are in the lower income bracket. This information is just for America, so when you factor in the growth in poor countries (Philippines, Mexico, Africa...) the bleed for the Watchtower could be larger now than it was 20 years ago.

I know it has been mentioned the average income level of JW is low, and this just compounds the issue.

"Differences in income across religious traditions largely mirror the differences in educational attainment. Jews and Hindus are among the groups most likely to report an annual household income of $100,000 or more (44% of Jews and 36% of Hindus). By contrast, large shares of members of the historically black Protestant tradition (53%), Jehovah’s Witnesses (48%) and people who say their religion is “nothing in particular” but that religion is at least somewhat important in their lives (47%) report household incomes of under $30,000 a year." - Pew Research. America's Changing Religious Landscape. May 12, 2015

No wonder "sisters" have problems finding marriage mates inside the Watchtower.

"Roughly two-thirds of Jehovah’s Witnesses are women" - Pew Research. May 12, 2015.

Wow, 66%? So a young JW woman has to compete for low income, non-educated, and perhaps much older men.

Hmm, If I was a JW pioneer, that would be my advertising message to guys..

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Well since TM3 made an unofficial off record rule to not marry anyone lower than an MS, they realy have a very small number to choose from. Take that 33% of men, how many are married already? How many are just publishers

• Giordano
    Giordano

I was struck by the education figures: 63% had High School or Less.

25% had some college.

9% had college

3% had post-graduate degree

Right there you can see the future of this religion. They have put themselves in the same situation as the Shakers.....doomed to fail because of their own dogma and polices.

• done4good
    done4good

Giordano - I was struck by the education figures: 63% had High School or Less.

25% had some college.

9% had college

3% had post-graduate degree

Right there you can see the future of this religion. They have put themselves in the same situation as the Shakers.....doomed to fail because of their own dogma and polices.

Which is precisely why I state there is little to nothing strategic about the current changes being made, apart from reacting to the projected effects of a reduction in donations. Purely reactionary, which is typical for authoritarian systems, (religious or otherwise).

d4g

• Simon
    Simon

I just saw this on the BBC site:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32710444

Pew Research Center found that 71% of Americans identified as Christian in 2014 - down from 78% in 2007.
    In the same period, Americans identifying as having no religion grew from 16% to 23%.
    In the South, those not-affiliated with religion - or as the researchers call them, "nones" - rose to 19% of the population, while in the Northeast they climbed to 25%.
    In the West "nones" are a larger group than any religion, making up 28% of the public.

It's about time that us "nones" are given some respect. When we rule the world it will be different, LOL

JW's only just beat "other". They are a minority bunch and always will be.

Christians in the US - according to the Pew Research Center

70.6% of Americans identify as Christian

46.5% are of Protestant faiths

25.4% are Evangelical

20.8% are Catholic

14.7% are Mainline or liberal

6.5% are Historically black

1.6% are Mormon

0.8% are Jehovah's Witness

0.4% identify as Other Christians

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Who knew the pyramid-loving, miracle-wheat-selling, failed prophets of yesteryear would one day grow to be the poorest, dumbest religion in all the land........I'm so proud.

-TE

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

So let me get this straight, Mormons outnumber JW's by 2 to 1 ?

So much for growth being an indicator of God's approval of the "Organization." Hahahahahaha!

Poorest, dumbest, loneliest religion in all the land - pretty much sums up this pathetic excuse of a Cult masquerading as a religion. Ugh!

• Simon
    Simon

There's mormons everywhere and they have huge swanky "temples" and churches.

They are way more successful than JWw which is why the WTS seems to be trying to copy them.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Christians in the US - according to the Pew Research Center
    0.8% are Jehovah's Witness

JWs think they`re a HUGE religious group..

They don`t even make up 1 full percentage point,of the Christian Community..

.........................Image result for cat looking in mirror

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

"They don't even make up 1 full percent point of the entire Christen Community."

Well said! And what I am embarrassed to think back upon, is how I was raised and brought up to believe that this religion was so important, highly thought of, and "special." Ha! They are ants in the afterbirth of the1800's Adventist movement, which is just about done moving and DEAD. The outright arrogance (and ignorance) to walk around all day, every day, thinking that you are elite and special, because that's what's been drummed into your head since the day you were born. That everyone else is wrong, and somehow your denomination is right. That 99.2% of all other people on the planet are fleshy bird food, and YOU are going to be petting pandas in front of your Chalet in the New Order. All because that 99.2% has a differing of opinion or interpretation of the Bible, as opposed to what the Governing Body SAYS the bible means? The incredible gall!

And what's worse is that there are still people alive today that are buying into this elitist attitude. Truly, there are suckers born every minute, and Cults aim to keep them that way!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit