Could you imagine Anonymous targeting the WT ?

by cookiemaster 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster

They have picked on cults before. They basically went to warfare with the church of scientology, so what would happen if they would pick on the WT ? Let's say they would release to the public of lot of secret documents that discredit them, or at least attack the JW.org website. I think that would be interesting to see !

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I thought they had already done this and attempted to get the paedophile records.

I think the trouble with anonymous is that anyone could pretend to be them and do naff all. I've seen youtube vids.....but were these just 14year old school boys?

I think the key thing here is that no one outside of the WBT$ and Ex JWs are the slightest bit interested in the watchtower.

Only a really big scandal that grabs media attention might...I say might.....do some good to expose the WBT$.

...........don't hold yer breath.

• Londo111
    Londo111

They did and it was a bust.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

I think Punk is right, no one outside of jw's/ex jw's cares about them.

Londo, I thought I had heard a while back that they were going after the wt. Do you know why it was a failure?

• Londo111
    Londo111

They claimed to have the database with the list of pedophiles, but were unable to decrypt it. Then they started accusing Bill Bowen and Silent Lambs as colluding with the Watchtower—that is when they lost all credibility to me.

• stillin
    stillin

They published some branch correspondences and some CO/DO letters of no real significance.

It seems that WTS is keeping their cards close to their chest. I was expecting more from Anonymous

• Etude
    Etude

Anonymous would have to perpetrate a deep invasion into their network in order to get at any compromising information. That may be tough with an organization (the WTBTS) which thrives on secrecy. If any attack is successfull, it would have to be very subtle and targeted, which might help them track specific information. As rich as the WTBTS is, I'm sure they have retained top consultants to secure their data and network. After all, the whole world is against them. Right? If I were that paranoid, that's what I would do. Yet, like we recently saw with Target, people get careless and then somebody find a hole to get in.

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster

I looked into the supposed attack you guys talked about and honestly I don't think that was the real Anonymous. I know that technically anyone can be anonymous, this being the entire point of Anonymous. Nevertheless, this threat and attack didn't seem to be anything near the scale of other previous major attacks on certain organizations. This leads me to believe that this was at best just a small group of anons or simply wannabes and not a full pledged attack from all members.

Also the WT might keep the nasty secrets hidden somewhere, written on real paper, and therefore be less vulnerable to online attacks. The borg tends to be quite old fashioned and cautious. Actually, when asking an elder why we wouldn't stream video of all spiritual programs online for the sick and old that can't attend, I was answered that we aren't allowed by the WT, which I found weird since we don't have anything to hide. Anyway, before this thread I wasn't aware that Anonymous, or at least a few of them, attacked the WT. What I would like to see would be a full on war, just like they carried out with Scientology.

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

I think they have bigger fish to fry.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

They want notiriety, and the fact that most people don't care about JWs makes them a small target. They'd rather be able to break the public's faith in an organization they trust, rather than an organization most people already think is a cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit