Overwhelmed by Response

by dobby 4 Replies latest jw friends

• dobby
    dobby

Just a quick note...well it didn't end up very quick:)

I posted about my internal struggle with belief in God a few days ago.

Unfortunately, with my job and family I am often so busy I can't get to this board for days at a time.

I just saw that there were many responses to my posting.

I want to say thanks to those who offered encouragement and some very good points to think about.

At this time I remain an agnostic with atheistic days. But if I do settle on a belief in God I can only believe in a simple form of worship, I know I will not be able to accept any "Holy" book or traditional form of religion. I sometimes feel that if there is a God, he is looking from heaven shaking his head and saying, "why didn't you just love one another, be tolerant of one another?, why have you created all of these belief structures that foster division and pain?"

For truly, if there is anything we can be judged on without more specific and clear communication from God, it is only the Golden Rule.

I think of my son. What if on the day he was born, I didn't meet him personally or talk to him personally? What if I left a confusing book in his room. When he got old enough he asked someone to explain it, because the book seemed to indicate that if he didn't get it right and find me in that book and do what I expected of him, he would die. But everyone he went to gave him a different spin on the book. You can see this analagy (sp?)...I could go on, the book was written by several different people over the course of several years, etc...

I don't get it. Being a parent is what did it for me after 30+ years in the borg. So many things didn't add up.

Anyway, I may post a bit about myself one day. One thing I will say, I am a she not a he (just noticed a lot of people thought I was a he).

Peace to the Board

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I missed your post, wherever it was, so welcome to the board.

I used to believe that it wasn't such a good idea if the Watchtower went under, becasue where would 6 million religious fanatics go? Islamic Extremism? I feel Much better.....

But I'm finding that it doesn't seem to be the case, enough is enough with the abuse, for most of us. I'm not worried about people like you, dobby;

It's the self-righteous, pompous, Bible-thumping a**holes that had better worry about whether or not there is a God.

The God I believe in understands when his child is hurt, and wants to go off alone for awhile and be by 'himself' spiritually.

I think you'll be fine.

((((dobby))))

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

I sometimes feel that if there is a God, he is looking from heaven shaking his head and saying, "why didn't you just love one another, be tolerant of one another?

For truly, if there is anything we can be judged on without more specific and clear communication from God, it is only the Golden Rule.

Dobby,

This is the basis for resurrection and salvation and always was, not biblical knowledge.
    Joseph

• Mazza
    Mazza

;;;;;;;;;;;;I think of my son. What if on the day he was born, I didn't meet him personally or talk to him personally? What if I left a
    confusing book in his room. When he got old enough he asked someone to explain it, because the book seemed to indicate
    that if he didn't get it right and find me in that book and do what I expected of him, he would die. But everyone he went to
    gave him a different spin on the book.

Dobby, How simply put. I think of how endlessly patient I am with my off-spring. I can't imagine a time when I'd say; that's it, you've done your dash, you're dead!!! (and actually mean it!!). I think that Christians believe that God provides wisdom and guidence - sort of special messages of inspiration which are meant to reassure them that they are on the right track. It's just confusing coz people in all religions claim to get this inspiration. And so it goes.

I loved your reference to us all getting along. We're not that good at it are we? Yet I presume most of us want to be reasonable and good. It's all too confusing..... just the same I enjoy the discussions about it.

kind regards
    Marilyn

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Dobby, I have believed in a Creator since childhood. Nobody had to tell or show me and I didn't have to be a JW either to convince me. I will say, it is a great feeling.

We all have choices.

Guest 77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit