'Lone Survivor' Movie....Amazing.

by startingover13 8 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover13
    startingover13

Last night I was finally able to make it to the movies and saw 'Lone Survivor', starring Mark Wahlberg. I did a little research beforehand about the film. Premise: 4 U.S. Navy SEALs are trapped in the mountains of Afghanistan during a botched attempt to capture a Taliban leader. 4 Navy SEALs vs. 200 + angry Taliban soldiers. You can connect the dots, I'm sure. The title of the movie alludes to the fact that it didn't end well for the SEALs. Whatever the case, I read the book written by Petty Officer Marcus Luttrel when I was in high school. Great read as well. The film did its best to stick to the real story, although some explosions, hand-to-hand fights, etc were added. It also did a great job showing the perspective of the everyday Afghan civillians who are caught between the Taliban and U.S. forces. My whole family is Navy, so some parts were a bit hard to watch. Great film nonetheless. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoLFk4JK_RM

P.S. I'd rather not have a long discussion about politics, U.S. involvement in the Middle East, etc etc. That's a topic for another post. Just wanted to promote a good movie. Have a good weekend all.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I'd queued this up to watch later already, so now look forward to it a bit more already thanks...

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Saw it a few nights ago.. very good movie.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think Wahlburg is at best a mediocre actor. A better actor cast in his role would have made the movie much better. Of course, I think he directed it also, so perhaps a better director would have improved it. Awesome story however.

Doc

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I didn't know about Wahlber's past violence and racism. I only read about it recently, what a horrid human he was as a youth. Good actor though. Once you have read it, you can't help looking at him and thinking 'hmmmmmmmm'.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Blech. Just another US movie glorifying war and violence. Got to keep those young men rolling up to enlist. Last thing I wanna see.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I can’t wait to see the movie, it looks intense. I bought the book last week online. It hasn’t gotten to me yet.

I saw Marcus Luttrel on 60 minutes and was excited to watch the movie. I want to read the book before I watch the movie.

• startingover13
    startingover13

Dazed, you'll love the book. Better than the movie in my opinion.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

OK I watched it and it started out great in the opening credits etc then it was downhill all the way with occaisonal blips upward. Typical US propaganda fare that spoils a lot of films.

Wahlberg cant really act, he is always the exact same character in all his films with differing levels of comedy depending on role, 2 Guns was a better example of his recent work.

The book is probably a better option.

I give it 5 /10

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit