Keep in Expectation! - (w2015 8/15) - A Commentary

by Oubliette 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I know there have been a couple of other threads on this article, but when I read it I just had to share a few comments of my own:

(The number before each quote refers to the paragraph from which it was taken:

1 - For centuries, God’s servants also lived in expectation of the fulfillment of prophecies concerning the Messiah, or Christ.

2 - God’s present-day servants also keep in expectation, for prophecies about the Messiah are still undergoing fulfillment. Through the Messianic Kingdom, Jehovah will soon put an end to human suffering by destroying the wicked and delivering his people from this unstable world lying in Satan’s power. (1 John 5:19) Let us therefore remain alert and fully aware that this system is rapidly nearing its end.

3 - After looking forward to the end of this system for what may seem to be a long time
    4- The Bible leaves no doubt about what our attitude should be toward the impending destruction of this system of things.

Soon, rapidly, impending all "seem to be a long time." Why is that? Because it has been a long time!

Let's see, 2015 - 1879 = 136 years. You're right. That DOES "seem to be a long time." No?

9 - Our expectations are based, not on a naive readiness to believe anything

Really? Do you mean things like:

• "overlapping generations"?
    • tithing that isn't called "tithing"?
    • a rapture that isn't called a "rapture"?
    • that the FDS were wrong about their own prophetic identity for over a century, but they finally got it right and that's why we should follow them now?
    • that pedophiles shouldn't be turned over to the police, but elders should call the branch for direction?
    10 - We need to be ready for Jesus’ arrival as Executioner

Well now, THAT'S a cheery thought! I feel loved, all warm and fuzzy inside.

11 - Jesus indicated that he might come later—“at dawn or early in the morning.” … So a long wait would not justify mentally postponing the end or totally dismissing their expectations.

If from dawn to early in the morning is a "long wait," what in the heck is 136 years?

15 - We can expect that Jehovah’s organization will continue to remind us that we should serve God with a sense of urgency.

Finally, something I can agree with!!! They only know one tune and, evidently, it's unlikely they'll ever change it.

17 - The end of this entire system of things is not far off.

Where have I heard that before?

17 - Let us be resolved to serve Jehovah with a sense of urgency

Oh, look! They said in paragraph #15 that we could expect such reminders and here they are! Truly, the Faithful Slave are prophets worthy of our obedience.

Let's review: It's a cult!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Hmmm creating phobias- check!

encouraging someone to trust in leadership despite misgivings- check!

assuming grandiose tittles/claiming to speak for god - check!

yep, i concur with your review. It is indeed a cult.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Then again what does the Bible actually say? Oh Jesus told some of his followers he would be back before they tasted death. The writers of the Pauline letters said they expected it at any moment and the revelation writer quotes Jesus saying 5 times in the last chapter of the book that he would be back very very soon. So it not 136 years of expectation but more like 1700
  • brandnew
    brandnew

Destroying the wicked.....hmmmmmmm, what about the wicked that already died.......took too long...

Whatcha gonna do? ressurrect the wicked so the can be destroyed ..AGAIN?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Crazyguy: So it not 136 years of expectation but more like 1700

You are of course correct.

I was, as I'm sure you realize, only referring to the relatively recent round of delusional "prophesying" starting with good ol' Chuck Russell.

• millie210
    millie210

That was great Oubliette!

(and I even spelled your name right :>)

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

God’s present-day servants also keep in expectation

but that not the truth because the WTS set about calculating its own dates/years which is going beyond what the bible instructs and says. To do so other wise is not following along with Jesus's guidance and instructions for his true followers to abide.

If people keep to their own agenda and not god's, how can they be called or self describe themselves as god's servants ? They are essentially servants to themselves.

In doing otherwise places the description as being false prophets and Jesus admonished these men and to stay away from them if and when you do come across them .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit