Additon to My Story

by ConnieLynn 6 Replies latest jw friends

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn

I posted my story here a week or so ago. And I left something out that I was shy about sharing, but now I have changed my mind for 2 reasons. 1) I feel more comfortable here everyday and feel like I can say this 2) I keep reading posts by new people who struggling to adjust and I think this might help.

After I left the witnesses and got DF'd I had nowhere to go, I wanted to kill myself because I was so alone and was no one to turn to. I tried to overdose and did a really bad job (just got sick). After that, I went to see a professional therapist, and I had intensive counseling for 2 years. I know that is a taboo thing if you're a JW, but it saved my life. I was lucky, I found a good therapist. I know there are some real bad ones out there, but I just want anyone to know, if you are in that place and you just think you can't make it, it is okay to seek out professional therapy. I also took anti-depressants for 10 months to help me cope.

I have felt really bad about not including that in my story, but I have never shared that with anyone other than my husband and DF'd sister. So there it is, it's out there now! I hope it helps someone.

• Kep
    Kep

Hey Connie,
    I know what you mean.
    I too was on antidepressants and needed to see counselors.
    It took me a while to find the right one. As you say there are some bad ones out there.
    I had that with the 1st and 2nd ones. They never helped me, in fact they made me worse.
    However, after finally finding the right person I was able to see the path I wanted and take steps to get there.
    Thank you for sharing that with us.
    Kep

• Carmel
    Carmel

Connie,

You are one corrageous person and I comment you for you humility! Yes, it takes both to go against the JUU brainwashing and the societial stigma of seeing a "shrink". That you were able to stabilize you life and become strong enough to openly share it speaks loads.

I wish I could personally give you a hug, but alas, ((()))) will have to do.

carmel

• Beans
    Beans

Now does that not feel better, share the love sister! I think everyone here nows what most have gone through.

Beans

• BobsGirl
    BobsGirl

Thank you for sharing. I am another who can attest to the healing gift of therapy.

BobsGirl

"May the work of your hands be a sign of gratitude and reverence to the human condition." - Mahatma Gandhi

• Salud
    Salud

Connie,

Thank you for sharing that with us and for your courage to bring it out. That really speaks highly of you and it shows that part of your life which was so difficult is now behind you. That is what I call a blessing. Over the years I have had witness friends commit suicide and it was so sad and we could not understand why, but we were blinded as to what they were really feeling. It is good that you went to a therapist. I remember on a couple of occasions when I was called on to 'counsel' married couples there were a couple of times where I encouraged them to seek professional help. There was nothing more we could do. I know more and more witnesses are secretly seeking professional help, they are realizing that the organization w/ all their meetings and going out 'more' in service is not a 'cure-all'. When my wife lived in Denver there was a 'brother' who was a therapist, and most of his patients were sisters. I know some of the elders frowned on it but the sisters continued going anyway. I agree that it is important to seek a good therapist who can help. Our family has gone to them in the past and it really cleared things up on some issues.

Thank you again for sharing that part of your life with us. More power to you!!

Salud

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn

Thank you very much. I guess a lot of us have been close enough to the edge to look over...maybe some have fallen all the off the edge. Thank you for all the personal email as well, and I hope the suggestions help.

Salud, I too, am amazed by how many DF'd & DA'd I have heard of that have committed suicide or attempted. I heard of one in Ottawa just a couple of months ago, a young man I had known as a child (DF'd twice), now he's gone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit