What is wrong with this headline?

by adamah 7 Replies latest social entertainment

• adamah
    adamah

Can anyone spot the basic problem with the question asked on the cover of LA Weekly, for an article on alien encounters?

Adam

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

? If the aliens didn't come to earth (or there is no proof of it), how were they 'encountered'?

Or~ How can you encounter an alien if it didn't come to earth (and wouldn't the encounter itself constitute proof for the believer)? The ALIEN ENCOUNTERS line is misleading?

Is that what you're getting at?

If that's not it, I'm stumped

• Laika
    Laika

Is it because you're being asked to prove a negative?

• Gentledawn
    Gentledawn

"Even the most emphatic true believers can't prove aliens have come to earth - but can you prove they haven't?"

Proving a negative is like trying to pick up an entire mountain range and tossing it above your head, like a juggling act. The amount of information and legwork to research it is astounding.

On the other hand, it is NOT up to the person who is supposed to be persuaded of an idea to prove the other party's argument for them. The weight of the evidence is to be brought by the person who brings the idea/argument, in this case the people who believe in aliens need to prove their side.

Not sure if that's what the OP was going for, tho.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I would also object to one of the small 'trailers' at the top of the page, smart kids don't Toke Up.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

I like what you're saying, Gentledawn. It is much like one who believes in a god asking a nonbeliever to prove that there isn't one....isn't the burden of proof on the believer? Yes

• adamah
    adamah

FFF said-

? If the aliens didn't come to earth (or there is no proof of it), how were they 'encountered'? Or~ How can you encounter an alien if it didn't come to earth (and wouldn't the encounter itself constitute proof for the believer)? The ALIEN ENCOUNTERS line is misleading? Is that what you're getting at?

All good observations, yes, and close, but no ceegar!

Laika said- Is it because you're being asked to prove a negative?

Even closer, Laika, so you win the ceegar!

It's all about who bears the burden of proof to support a claim; in this case, the "emphatic true believers in UFOs" are unable to prove their case that aliens have visited Earth, so the story should end there. Where the headline goes off the tracks is when they ask, "but can you prove they haven't?"

The unbeliever (i.e. the one listening to the believer's claim) has NO OBLIGATION to disprove anything, since as you point out the work of proving a negative falls on the one making the claim to others, and they always bear that responsibility. The job is on them to convince others to accept their claim.

Of course, the old saying is, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence", and that holds for evidence of aliens visiting Earth, too, just as it does for any other extraordinary claim.

Adam

EDIT: yup, Gentledawn, we cross-posted, but you nailed it. Sorry Laika, but you've got to hand over and share the ceegar with Gentledawn, so don't bogart it!

• adamah
    adamah

Oh, BTW, if anyone wants to read the article, the magazine is available here (article starts on pg 12):

http://digitalissue.laweekly.com/publication/?i=186568

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit