The Four Gospels: Hellenistic Romances

by compound complex 4 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Friends:

I have just received Not In His Image, by John Lamb Lash.

Lash states that the four Gospels (NT) belong to a literary genre known as Hellenistic romance, a sort of novella consisting of miracles, supernatural signs, stock characters, etc. During the first century of the Christian era many of these novellas, which mixed fable and folklore with some realistic elements, were circulating.

They were the pulp fiction of their time . . .

NIHI, p.107

Have you read this?

CC

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I haven't read this CoCo but I've read that much classical literature contains some true history mixed in with mythology and stories of heroes. Thinking of the works of Homer all the women were beautiful and all the men strong and powerful. Troy existed but that is all we can be sure of.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Xanthippe, for your reply.

I no longer trust the axiom,"It has the ring of truth." I've become quite objective in my old age. Perhaps, skeptical?

Best regards.

CoCo

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I too have not (yet) read the book, but I have read similar opinions from respected scholars. Thanks for the tip, CoCo, I need something good to read !

I was listening to the gorgeous Prof Francesca Stavrakopulou of Exeter University here in the U.K, and she was explaining that a large portion of the O.T is "genre" literature that is mirrored in the "pagan" world, and far from unique.

As our own , dear , Leolaia has pointed out as well on here.

Leo also has some interesting posts too on how "motifs" from the O.T are used by the Gospel writers , they were hardly reporting history, or conversations verbatim.

And yet believers, some on here, debate about every Jot and Tittle !

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Phizzy, for the good points made. Yes, dear Leolaia opened our eyes to many incongruities.

I'm reading now (same title) about the victim-perpetrator scenario and the redeemer complex.

Heavy duty stuff!

Gratefully,

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit