Facebook conversation with my never-a-JW cousin

by Mum 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Mum
    Mum

Recently my sister posted on Facebook a list of Bible verses/scriptures for different situations in life. My reply was "Have you gotten religious?" I have never known my sister to be religious in her entire life. My sister did not reply at all, but two of my cousins did. The first cousin posted, "Mum, that sounds awful!" and she dropped it. Then I posted that I am no longer religious, that unlike most people, the older I get the less religious I become.

Then the cousin told me I might need to see a doctor !? She told me that my paternal grandfather was rolling over in his grave, praying for me. As both of my grandfathers were country preachers, I said that then the other grandfather probably was doing the same (tongue-in-cheek). After a few more back-and-forth tirades in which she told me, among other things, that I probably should have remained a JW, I told her that I was living an authentic, honest life, not pretending to be something I wasn't. She replied with something like "This conversation has ended! Good bye!" I replied, "I love you, B. Bye . . ."

So, I lost a "worldly" cousin (who, btw, killed her ex-husband, allegedly in self-defense) because of my lack of faith.

After the exchange, I addressed my sister in a post. I asked if she had hired our two cousins to be her "heavies," and that I had asked a simple, straightforward question and had been expecting a simple answer.

My sister still has not replied.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Lol. So your sayin non-JW people who are religious are just as bassackwards as the witnesses?

My boss knows my situation as an x-JW. He also knows I’m an atheist. He tells me I’m going to hell unless I accept Jesus back in my heart. He ribs me and I do the same back about his beliefs. Some, like my boss, can give and take criticism. Some can’t. Religion, for the most part, makes people nutty.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

And religion makes many people hyper-judgmental. They've "accepted" Jesus, but ignore everything written about him and his teachings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit