Hello Lurkers - remember you have a choice

by likeabird 1 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• likeabird
    likeabird

This just popped into my head, so I decided to share it with you:

1 Timothy 6:9,10

9 But those who are determined to be rich fall into temptation and a snare+ and many senseless and harmful desires that plunge men into destruction and ruin.+ 10 For the love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things, and by reaching out for this love some have been led astray from the faith and have stabbed themselves all over with many pains.+

Matthew 10:34-39

34 Do not think I came to put peace upon the earth; I came to put, not peace,+ but a sword. 35 For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a young wife against her mother-in-law.+ 36 Indeed, a man’s enemies will be persons of his own household. 37 He that has greater affection for father or mother than for me is not worthy of me; and he that has greater affection for son or daughter than for me is not worthy of me.+ 38 And whoever does not accept his torture stake* and follow after me is not worthy of me.+ 39 He that finds his soul* will lose it, and he that loses his soul for my sake will find it.+

Looks like we have a choice, and according to the scriptures, the consequences aren't very pretty.

Just have a think about.

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks for sharing likeabird. Your shrewdly selected words if taken literally would stop any inquiries for fear of upsetting the status quo. I could see a member of another religious group adducing them to try to frighten adherents into keeping quiet. As with all texts cited to bring about a desired state, you need to balance them with texts that encourage use of perfectly legitimate values such as "reasoning" and critical thinking - qualities the Watchtower encourages churchgoers to use - even when their church leaders object and accues the questioners of causing divisions.Why these very qualities become anathema when used within the organization exposes a sorry double standard.

You will be shrewd enough to know that he who seeks to mislead, first makes it a virtual sin for listeners to question. With your selective but shrewd use of scripture, your desire to close down perfectly legitimate inquries shines through.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit