The new word links within the postings

by nonjwspouse 7 Replies latest forum tech-support

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

As bobcat post 1204 pointed out. This seems to be a new form of ad type links. I've seen them on other places. It takes you to places totally unrelated to the post and site, but the word must be "paid for" to get the link directed to that particular site it goes to.

Is this something you have no control of Simon? Are you aware of it? Can it be stopped?

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Just to reiterate -

After the page loads, it auto refreshes and certain words will be underlined as a link. When the mouse flies over them a small ad window pops up inviting you to click on it. It looks like it looks for certain words - for example, on Jeremiah's thread the word "depression" is underlined and linked to a cite that offers depression remedies.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

NonJWSpouse:

Do you use Chrome?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

noope just firefox mozilla

• Come On Out The Waters Fine
    Come On Out The Waters Fine

Try starting Firefox in safe mode and see if it still happens.

If it does not then it sounds like one of your plugins might be causing the problem.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode

How to start Firefox in Safe Mode

At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, go over to the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled... . Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while starting Firefox.

Here's a link to a post by somone with the same problem on the firefox site.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/929127

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Thanks COOTWF,

Though this is a new occurance here in this forum. Why now?

Thanks for the advice.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, it's something I'm trying out - just want to evaluate how it works and may change things to see how the controls function before deciding whether to keep it or not. The outgoing link information it provides is pretty useful.

The links should only be to decent sites like Amazon, eBay etc...

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Simon,

I'm glad to know you are fully aware of it and checking on the link directions. It is a little unsettling for me when I see this on sites, because of the high potential for malware etc,.

Thanks for clarifyng that you are aware and on top of this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit