Buddhist Heart Sutra

by fulltimestudent 8 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

English translation:

When Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara was practicing the profound Prajna Paramita,
    he illuminated the Five Skandhas and saw that they are all empty,
    and he crossed beyond all suffering and difficulty.

Shariputra, form does not differ from emptiness;
    emptiness does not differ from form.
    Form itself is emptiness; emptiness itself is form.
    So too are feeling, cognition, formation, and consciousness.

Shariputra, all Dharmas are empty of characteristics.
    They are not produced, not destroyed, not defiled, not pure;
    and they neither increase nor diminish.
    Therefore, in emptiness there is no form, feeling, cognition, formation, or consciousness;
    no eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body, or mind;
    no sights, sounds, smells, tastes, objects of touch, or Dharmas;
    no field of the eyes up to and including no field of mind consciousness;
    and no ignorance or ending of ignorance,
    up to and including no old age and death or ending of old age and death.
    There is no suffering, no accumulating, no extinction, and no Way,
    and no understanding and no attaining.

Because nothing is attained,
    the Bodhisattva through reliance on Prajna Paramita is unimpeded in his mind.
    Because there is no impediment, he is not afraid,
    and he leaves distorted dream-thinking far behind.
    Ultimately Nirvana!
    All Buddhas of the three periods of time attain Anuttara-samyak-sambodhi
    through reliance on Prajna Paramita.
    Therefore know that Prajna Paramita is a Great Spiritual Mantra,
    a Great Bright Mantra, a Supreme Mantra, an Unequalled Mantra.
    It can remove all suffering; it is genuine and not false.
    That is why the Mantra of Prajna Paramita was spoken. Recite it like this:

Gaté Gaté Paragaté Parasamgaté

Bodhi Svaha!

End of The Heart of Prajna Paramita Sutra

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Avalokiteshvara - my favourite Buddhist character, who possesses infinite compassion. He has achieved the spiritual level that entitles him to nirvana, but refuses to enter nirvana until the last suffering human has achieved nirvana.

Avalokiteshvara, the Bodhisattva of Infinite Compassion, may be the most well known and beloved of the iconic bodhisattvas. Throughout all schools of Mahayana Buddhism, Avalokiteshvara is venerated as the ideal of karuna. Karuna is the activity of compassion in the world and the willingness to bear the pain of others.

Avalokiteshvara is the earthly manifestation of Amitabha Buddha, who represents mercy and wisdom. The bodhisattva is said to appear anywhere to help all beings in danger and distress.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

When she started to sing at 1 minute in, I was surprised at how sincerely, innocently and beautifully she sang.

I enjoyed the music too.

Thank you FullTime .

LoisLane

PS. As a new " outie ", I really do not know that much about the different Buddhist's faith.

How kind of "Avalokiteshvara" to await his nirvana until everyone else has attained their's.

• zeb
    zeb

A porcelain beauty with a crystal voice.

• metatron
    metatron

I have found great wisdom in all aspects of life by practicing mindfullness and realizing that there is always a middle way.

metatron

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

LoisLane:

When she started to sing at 1 minute in, I was surprised at how sincerely, innocently and beautifully she sang.

I enjoyed the music too.

I knew you would - so there's another version for you. I could not work out where the version above was sung, but this one is identified:

Faye Wong sings the Heart sutra

Faye Wong (王菲) attended the Buddha's finger bone relic ceremony at the Famen Temple on 09/05/2009, in Shaanxi Province.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqBRTTKUAVY&list=PL417F7B0741DE02D4

Faye also sings other songs. So I'll post another thread with romantic songs

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Metatron:

I have found great wisdom in all aspects of life by practicing mindfullness and realizing that there is always a middle way.

metatron

Yes! You're right - and then there's wuwei as another way to deal with life's hassles.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Correction: My fingers went faster than my mind there. wuwei is daoist not buddhist in origin, but in East Asia the two lines of thought often become entwined.

wikipedia explains:

(it) literally means non-action or non-doing. In the Tao te Ching, Laozi explains that beings (or phenomena) that are wholly in harmony with the Tao behave in a completely natural, uncontrived way. As the planets revolve around the sun, they "do" this revolving, but without "doing" it. As trees grow, they simply grow without trying to grow. Thus knowing how and when to act is not knowledge in the sense that one would think, "now I should do this," but rather just doing it, doing the natural thing. The goal of spiritual practice for the human being is, according to Laozi, the attainment of this natural way of behaving.

It's a quiet different way of solving problems to the usual practise in western culture. For us, its a matter of "Quick, do something!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit