A JW can actually debate without repercusion from the Society?

by donny 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• donny
    donny

I ran across a debate on You Tube between a JW and a "Christian" believer. Did the Society recently relax their stand against doing public debates?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkjBSxm6_UE

Donny

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

I wasn't aware JW's couldn't publicly debate. What else would you consider arguing with householders over theology?

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

It's Greg Stafford, a former JW, scholar and staunch apologist of certain JW' beliefs, particularly against trinitarianism. He left the JW's (and was probably not one when he was in this trinity debate), then returned to them for a while, and finally left them for good (and encourages others to leave them), although he still staunchly upholds many of their core beliefs. He is a formidable anti-trinitarian. The Society was always a bit too scared to disfellowship him before he eventually left again of his own accord.

Stafford has his own website and publications/articles http://www.elihubooks.com/

Definitely well worth reading his books. I have them.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

yadaa, I wonder if he is involved with the 2001 bible translation online. It's obviously created by ex JWs in my opinion

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Don't know. If he was it's probably mentioned on his website.

• Pronger1
    Pronger1

Stafford left the org? Haha that is hilarious. I remember all the debates he was involved in on the old H2O board in the late 1990s.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Having watched the debate, in parts, I reckon the WT have lost the best Apologist they ever had when Greg Stafford left. Maybe that is why they took no action against him when he was clearly a bit of a maverick, he did abetter job than any of them could.

I never have agreed with all he says by any means, but he sure argues well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit