Out of the mouths of babes

by dissonance_resolved 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• dissonance_resolved
    dissonance_resolved

Since I started my fade, I've been really worried about my kids being taken to meetings by my husband and continuing to be indoctrinated. I guess I needn't have worried, though, the WT is digging their own grave for me. Below is verbatim my young daughter's notes from a recent meeting (though names have been changed):

The first 10 minutes. My brother is drawing Mario tilting his head. Then dad says he's too old to be drawing. But he keeps drawing. But while that's been happening, brother Smith is choosing who should read Jeremiah 28:10-17. My brother is still drawing. Now they are reading chapter 12, then they would ask the question, call on someone and they will answer it. My brother is almost done with his Mario guy. While the people on stage are reading paragraph 13 he is still drawing. Now brother Smith is calling on someone to read 2 Peter 2:9. My brother is done with his Mario guy and now he is writing a letter to Mom. It is 8:00 and it is time to end: Jer. Chapter 13, paragraph 8-13 (30 minutes).

My brother's letter says: mom, so far I'm drawing and my sister is writing girl stuff. I think we are getting ice cream after. Can Billy come over tomorrow? Can you get pop tarts? Thanks. I'm bored. Also cookies.

We are skipping the next Tuesday meeting because we are going on vacation! Anyway the brother on the stage is giving a talk and he is asking questions, calling on people and the people are answering the questions. It is 8:15 only 45 minutes more. The brother on stage is using more time than he is supposed to. Oh good he's done. Now another brother is giving a talk by reading Luke 12:4-12 and explaining what it's saying. Now it's 8:40 and we're done.

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

This is so funny, it reminds me of a DC when I was a bit younger. It must have been 1998 or 1999. We, my then husband, our children and me, were sitting on the same row with my parents and siblings, and my (much) younger sisters were writing little notes to each other. I was supposed to behave like an adult, of course, giving a good example to both my children and little sisters, but I also was their sister and wanted to join in their fun. So I did and wrote some funny things to them.

At one point my youngest sister wrote down her name and address for my daughter (they're the same age), as if my daughter didn't know that, and the eldest of my sisters thought that was ridiculous. Especially when she saw that our youngest sister misspelled her own name. So she rearranged the letters of her name in such a way that they formed a 'dirty word' and above it she wrote "stupid cow, you can't even write your own name!"... It was really funny at the time, I burst out in laughter (of course our youngest sister didn't like it one bit, but she was a pain in the ass anyway, so we loved to tease her. And afterwards we hugged her to make it up to her again) and I've kept that note as a 'souvenir for old times' sake'. I still have it and I came across it when we were unpacking our things in Spain and it really made me laugh again. The faces of those, then, little girls and the fun we had during those borings talks

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

I love your story. Thanks for sharing. It brought back memories of my children when they were little. My daughter use to bring her blanket and then try to go asleep almost immediately. LOL, but the very last meeting/assembly I attended, my son said something that was the "I'm done" moment. It was so silly. There was a talk by a member of the gob, and he kept talking about how people can be stumbled by seeing others hug or pet each other during prayer. My son turned to me and said something like "why don't they just keep their eyes closed?" Love kids. Never went back and never regretted it.

• tec
    tec

That's really cute. (both the OP AND the 'why can't they keep their eyes closed' comment.... and SO true, lol)

Priorities: Billy, pop-tarts, cookies ; )

Peace to you and yours,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit