Did you ever run into brothers who didn't like "straightforward" talks?

by toto555 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• toto555
    toto555

So you brother who use to give talks (especially public talks) did you ever run into those brothers that always wanted you to speak "diplomatically" and "show love" all the time even though when you gave a talk and discussed certain points in a honest and straightforward way there was nothing wrong with what you did? Some people just don't like to hear the truth and even want you to "water things down" so that you "tickle" people's ears. Did you ever run into that?

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

Dude, the whole religion is based on, "He who bullshits best wins". Straightforward? What's that? You've got to learn how to be passive aggressive. You've got to kill them softly with guilt trips and back handed platitudes. Honesty?

Brother, we teach "lying because it's what is best for God's Organization" in these parts. Theocratic Warfare in the name of Jehovah our God! He shall reward us with eberlasting paradise on earth and lions that will allow our children to conquer them in wrestling matches! Now get up there and scare the demons out of these friends!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

toto555:

I was not a brother, but I was criticized for being outspoken and straightforward. Some people don't like this quality in women. Oh, well...

Many people (and not just JWs) can't deal with straightforward facts and they need things sugarcoated or watered down. I was told that I should use tact. The only problem is that manipulative people will use your tact against you and roll over you like a steamroller. I think tact only works with other tactful people.

Screw 'em all, I say. Keep being your truthful self.

• zeb
    zeb

A honest and brief talk that can be termed 'straight-forward' is not on.

Long winded waffle talks with interminable repititions and scores of scriptures (scripture-straffing) is the modus operandi. Those who give talks are "institutionalized" to do this and not deviate one micron from that. Oh and not forgetting all those wt cliches.

Anyone heard a new elder give his first full talk? It sounds all broken gated with words he was not comfortable with I.e not of his normal culture?

This is because the wts requires those first talks to be read 'word for word' from a prepared sheet; no going past the 'party line'. Being one of the milder forms of power trip the wts indulges in.

Does anyone in the world remember the name of US senator who drawled on for something like 2 hours before Abraham Lincoln gave his "Gettysburg address"? Lincolns address lasted for a tiny 20 minutes.

Jesus 'sermon on the mount' that penultimate piece of work.

Churchills.. battle of britain speech.

Nelson Mandellas inaugration speech.

Read any publication on public speaking and they will attest to this plan for a sound memorable presentation, being;

• preparation, taking fully into account the make up of the audience you will be speaking to.
    • preparation, taking into account the situation whether morning, midday, or an after dinner address.
    • preparation, knowledge of the subject and your own faults as a speaker.
    • preparation, being so well prepared as to finish under the allocated time.
    • -then- stand up, speak up, and ..shut up.
  • Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Anyone heard a new elder give his first full talk? It sounds all broken gated with words he was not comfortable with I.e not of his normal culture? This is because the wts requires those first talks to be read ' word for word' from a prepared sheet; no going past the 'party line'. Being one of the milder forms of power trip the wts indulges in.

What? No. At assemblies and conventions there are manuscript talks. At the KH, very very few are manuscript. even stuff like the special talks are outlines. That stuff all gets posted here anyway

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

We had a substitute CO once get up and tell our congregation it was rotten to the core and everyone was shocked. He told the absolute truth about that congregation, and half of us were glad he said it plainly and the other half...well I suppose as the bitches, gossipers, manipulators and slanderers they may have been stunned to be called on their crap. I always appreciated a jw who called a spade a spade because we were rare.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

well I suppose as the bitches, gossipers, manipulators and slanderers they may have been stunned to be called on their crap.

Julia, I doubt it changed anyone, did it?

Usually everyone thinks those talks apply to "the other person" and NOT to themselves.

(BTW -- They're probably saying that YOU didn't "get it"!)

Doc

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Being straight-forward and honest is not compatible with JWism. At some point you must lie to yourself and others. I told an Elder once, " Look. I am a stand up guy. If you want to have a man to man conversation, we can do that. " I see him now and then, but that was the last conversation we ever had.

Julia raised a nice point. You will get some people who call a spade a spade. Still, they can only operate within the confines of the JW system. That means that they can say what they will, but until the ORG itself changes, the problems will remain.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit