Sharing new light

by jonahstourguide 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Gotta share this experience.

Had a shepherding call from a lone sanctimonious elder.

He started banging on about the new light in john 17:3. Know Jehovah. This weeks wt study.

I let him roll on for a while then pulled out an old catholic douay version dated 1962.

Made sure he saw the cross on the front cover, he didn't want me to open it up ha ha

I insisted he would appreciate the comparison with Christendom's bible which of course renders

the translation "they shall k now you" . Classic, he wouldn't have it and said I should stop wasting my

time doing so much research and concentrate on the preaching work. So I asked him what scripture I

could use to prove the apparent overlapping generation teaching to a householder, given it had been a core teaching..

After some unrelated small talk and an attempt to offer a prayer on my behalf (that I declined) he left.

Just heard back from a dear friend that it has been suggested among the body of elders and minows that I need

to be watched for possible apostate leanings!!!!!!!

Geez, I'm trying to give this a fair go but it seems that there are serious flaws in 1 doctrine and 2 attitudes.

And now this weeks brochure study bangs on about the library in the kh.... mate its all out of date the way they are going.

I haven't shared my story here yet but suffice to say that in everything in life I believe in finding basis for faith or belief.

I've been out for 30 yrs and reckon it's worth proving for myself what is worth ascribing to. I was a born in and "walked"

when it got too hard to please people. As I told the elder, if I can't prove it to myself away from the percieved requirement

this time around then how can I prove it to someone else???

jtg

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

All you need to do is study watchtower publications, the latest ones, so you may have to download the latest "light" from jw.org, you must study along with a qualified Watchtower representative, then you will prove to yourself it is the Truth !

Well, for now, it may change next week.

More or less what is in the first sentence was what was told to me by an Elder when I asked how he would go about convincing my children, (grown adults by then), that JW's was the religion to choose, he said that is all he could offer.

I had asked him for just something that would convice them, a unique doctrine perhaps, or some other proof. "All I could do would be to study with them" came the reply. Even when I pointed out that they knew all the teachings, having attended Meetings until their teens, he said he could do nothing more.

Very telling that, they actually have nothing of substance in the way of proof to offer that can be independently assessed, a bit like Scientology.

• thedog1
    thedog1

I have an eight-translation New Testament and they all say 'they shall know you' or something similar.

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

well phizzy, thats what I am finding.

After being in the world and getting the tee shirt, I've started thinking about spirituality and or purpose apart from dollars.

At this stage dollars don't tempt but fulfillment of some type does ( for a confirmed batchelor) ha ha.

I am enjoying searching and researching what I never did earlier. The proof never was there as I see it now, but I will prove

this for myself without the influence of family or new found friends. Kind of sad when you see the facts are not there.

jtg

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

I know The dog1 I have started using Biblos.com. but I had this old bible that someone gave me and it

made me feel empowered at the time.

showed how little research the "leaders" do!!!!

jtg

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

You big ol apostate you . How dare you challenge "mother". ehhhhh

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

lol wanna

as I recall when I challenged me real mum she would always have a reason that I could comprehend.

And if I couldn't comprehend it her past "form guide" gave me comfort!! albeit begrudgingly ha ha

Seems me defacto mums got a few reliability issues

jtg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit