Need Advice about Grandparents/Blood Doctrine

by SnailsPace2 8 Replies latest social family

• SnailsPace2
    SnailsPace2

My in-laws are taking my little boy to a different state for small trip and the want me to create a document stating they are allowed to take him over state lines. Which is fine. My husband would like for me to construct the document and include information concerning medical decisions and that they are only to be made after contacting the parents. I have no doubt the grandparents will attempt to refuse blood for my son if the issue comes. My husband and I both feel that if blood is absolutely necessary as a last resort to save our son's life we will accept.

I don't even know where to start with this. What if by chance an emergency arises and they are not able to reach me or my husband? I don't want to ban them from making ANY decisions. I have full confidence in their ability to make decisions in everything except concerning blood. So obviously I don't want any delay in the care of my son if I write the letter. So should I be specific?

Another thing to consider too is the physician will do whatever he wants and deems and necessary and has the legal right to do so because of my son's age. So should I just leave it out of the letter completely?

Any suggestions on how to word this letter?

• SnailsPace2
    SnailsPace2

Sorry about the typos. I'm tired.

• Scully
    Scully

Are you certain that your inlaws wouldn't use a legal document like that to potentially get you in hot water with the Elders™, especially if you put in writing that you consent to your son receiving blood transfusions if deemed medically necessary?

Are you certain that your inlaws would even respect such instructions related to your son's medical care in the event it was medically necessary?

To be perfectly honest, I would NOT permit a child of mine to have unsupervised time alone with JW grandparents, unless I was a JW myself and agreed 100% with their teachings and doctrines. When you are "fading", Inactive™ or attempting to distance yourself from the JW religion, allowing an impressionable child to have unsupervised access with JW grandparents or other JW relatives who might feel they have a 'mission' to save them from your 'reckless' course of action (i.e., Leaving The Truth™) is asking for trouble.

• Scully
    Scully

To answer your question, a document pertaining to your child's health care decisions should be worded something like this:

My son/daughter, (insert name here), is temporarily visiting their grandparents, (insert names here), from (start date Day/Month/Year) to (end date Day/Month/Year).

In the event of a medical emergency, my child's well being and life are of the utmost importance. We can be reached at any time by cell phone at (###) ###-#### to be kept informed of my child's condition and to grant consent for any medical procedures that may be required.

My child's current medications are:
    (medication name, dosage, taken x# times daily) [repeat for each medication your child uses]

My child is allergic to: (list allergies, especially medications like antibiotics, and include food allergies)

This document is in effect for the duration of (child's name) visit with (grandparents' names), (restate dates above).

Your printed name and signature

Your husband's printed name and signature

Dated this (date, month, year) at (your city of residence).

-------------------------

Under no circumstances should you relinquish your decision making rights on behalf of your child to anyone else. In this day and age, where instant communication is possible via cellular phone, there is no reason whatsoever to give that right away to someone who might make a well-intentioned but poorly informed choice that you yourself would not make on your child's behalf.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi SnailsPace2, Why do your in-laws feel they need this document? Can they specifically say what law requries them to have such a document? I do not know of any U.S.A. laws that require such a document.

If you do give them a written document, just list all your phone numbers including mobile numbers and email addresses for the doctors to contact you.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• smiddy
    smiddy

My in-laws are taking my little boy to a different state for small trip and the want me to create a document stating they are allowed to take him over state lines.

Is this a legal requirement where you live ? If not why do they request this.?

You could also have a clause put in , such as :" If a medical situation should arise where the medical profession says my son needs a blood transfusion , under no circumstances are you to object to that decision." and make sure both sign that document.

While its a situation no-one wants to happen, accidents occur all the time and lives are thrown into turmoil . Just saying.

smiddy

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If you are going to leave your 6 year old in the company of fully blown cult members, you just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best. If there is a medical emergency, they might just choose to conveniently forget to show the medics a document that goes against their 'Bible trained' consciences.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I never heard of such a document but I am no expert in Witness law. There are sometimes problems with parents leaving a state. Some states might be more likely to award custody to a particular parent. Congress passed some legislation to to deal with kidnapping. It seems that you want a list of medical concerns. You know your parents. The blood would give me pause. In normal life, a court would intervene. If you are so concerned, you should see a lawyer.

I can't imagine that my JW relatives would kidnap me and not let my mom make the decision. JW individuals are not bad people.

Wait a second. They took me out of state frequently. We always went over to Macy's or some special event in NYC. No document was needed. It soundsl ike they are afraid that you will accuse them of kidnapping. Did you ask why they want a document? Perhaps it is to show a hosptial er in an emergency. The doctors will want to speak with you.

I don't understand it.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Something makes no sense to me. Doctors will want to speak with you. You have the legal rights, not a party with temporary custody. Would they not take the child to a hospital in the event of an emergency? It seems there is a lot of formality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit