How to pioneer when it's below zero

by Giordano 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• Giordano
    Giordano

Part 3. Pioneer survival school with Hilly and Hoppy.

One of my first duties was organizing the twice a week door to door service. But our two older brothers, Hilly and Hoppy, kept ducking me. They went out on their own and they were placing something like 300 magazines a month. Frank was concerned that they might be dumping them in the woods. So he wanted me to check it out.

I had a hard time convincing H and H to let me join them in service, finally I dropped a few hints that I was a pretty laid back brother who didn't always follow WTBTS policy... which was the truth. They finally agreed and off we went with an enormous stack of magazines. We headed to an area a little out of town where they liked to get started. I got the impression that they didn't do door to door. Hoppy's bedroom slippers was one clue.

Their expertise in placing magazines was stuffing them in mailboxes. I was directed to pull up to a roadside mailbox and Hoppy, sitting in the back would slip a magazine into it. It took me a little while to get his window properly lined. “No your two far away" I can’t reach that far” Hoppy I learned was also not into stretching. He was a careful man easily noted by the belt and suspenders he always wore. When I questioned the lawfulness of using a postal service mailbox he said "Don't worry we've got a standing order from these folks".

I didn't realize it at the time but both brothers were in very bad health. Hilly had diabetes and Hoppy a weak heart but they were cheerful and enjoyed each others company and their version of 'field service'.
    So we proceeded down the road shoving magazines into mail boxes and I came to the conclusion that it was really a very relaxing stress free way to do things and very effective......... if illegal. About a half hour into this Hilly called for a coffee break.

"I hate to stop now I'm really behind on my time", I said.

"Don't worry about it the clocks still running!" Over coffee I learned that they preferred to get their time 'started' then enjoy a leisurely cup of coffee. This was a revelation to me. I honestly didn't know any witness that counted time like that.......... not back in my old congregation. And because it was necessary for my ‘ablutions’ considering everything.......... that it was a perfectly reasonable way to approach field service.

The next stop, after we resumed, was the local old age home, I followed Hilly inside and he directed me where to put a stack of the magazines. Then we drove to the local hospital, then a Lutheran assisted living facility which I thought was bold. Hilly and I floated in and out of the buildings never speaking to anyone. It was a very pleasant way to do things. Hilly explained, "I'm not good with words but I'm good at getting the magazines in places so that people can find them. Then it's up to the magazine to provide the words". I found no fault with that logic.

Frank called me later that day and asked what I had learned, “They are definitely not dumping magazines in fact they are pretty amazing." I said. "They have a way of covering the territory that's unique". " Unique good or unique bad?" Frank asked. "Good enough", I replied, "but Frank, I'd keep the circuit servant away from them when he comes." Frank knew something was a little bit off but he went along and I enjoyed my weekly service with them.

Not too long after that Brother Hilly's diabetes took a turn and he lost his leg. I visited him in the hospital and his spirits were good. Hoppy was there and he had brought a big stack of Awakes so Hilly could hand them out... He planned to get into his wheel chair and go bed to bed "there's a lot of turn over in this place," Hilly said. When Hoppy and I said our good byes I noticed that Hoppy’s eyes were moist, "Hilly told me we had to trade names now".

As we were leaving I noticed a crowd gathered around the black and white TV in the waiting room, I asked someone what they were watching “The Beatles are going to perform on the Ed Sullivan show for the first time!” I knew a little about the Beatle phenomena but this was the first time I would get to see them. They were introduced and started with “I want to hold your hand”. I remember thinking......so that’s the Beatles......they’ll never last.

Hoppy and Hilly continued on for a while longer but advancing age and serious health issues made it impossible to resume field service.

Meanwhile my buddy from back home wrote and asked if he could pioneer with me.......... he had decided that he wanted to go to Bethel but he needed to build up his record for a year or two.

Part 4: The greatest bible study that never was.

• UN informed
    UN informed

Just lie, (about your hours) like momma, the WT Society and their illustrious governing body.

brant

• clarity
    clarity

Too funny ... makes me feel kind of 'stoopid' for being

so consciencious about reporting hours LOL! Never entered

my mind to make stuff up ... wow life could have been so

much easier! Maybe I could give it another try ........aaggh

NOT!

Thanks Gio :-)

clarity

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Well you have to give them credit for ingenuity. It is illegal to put anything other than US mail in mailboxes, I hope they never got caught. I saw something similar recently. We were in the parking lot of the Home Depot behind a car. The car came to a stop, the passenger rolled down her window and talked to a person, then handed him a magazine, then they drove off. I notice the car had a handicapped licence plate, maybe that was the only way they could count time.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I remember one pioneer that I respected above all others..... He actually counted his hours.

mehh guestimations were good enough for me.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I worked with some hard-core pioneers who didn't count time all the way through. They started time at the first door, and stopped counting time at the last door. I was an idiot I see now -- I could have counted the coffee breaks, the drive to the first house, etc. Would have made an appallingly boring and horrible life a little easier. I don't remember how long I pioneered, but I remember how awful it was.

• Giordano
    Giordano

One big issue I haven't commented on was how cold it was, this was the 'icebox' of PA. Elevation and humidity from the great lakes make it torture to go door to door.

Add to that we used thin gloves so we could turn the pages of our bibles and read scriptures and point out interesting articles (gag) in the WT and Awake. We hit critical mass one morning when there was no answer at the first five house's we called at and I told my pioneer partner I couldn't feel my fingers. The sixth door opened and a lovely young women allowed us in....what an innocent time. We stood on the furnace floor grill while we did our presentation soaking up all of the hot air we could. When we left we looked at each other and said "lets go back to town and have a coffee at the Chestnut Inn." And yes we counted all of the time. We didn't leave until after lunch. In my years there the lowest temp recorded was minus 27 degrees with the other years being in the low minus 20's.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

How did you dress for the weather? It sounds very risky.

• gorgia2
    gorgia2

Great story!

gorgia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit