Harris Poll, American's belief in God, Heaven and miracles declines

by LisaRose 5 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
  • Gopher
    Gopher

According to things I've read, the 9/11/2001 terror attack reminded or informed many people of the dangers of religion, which can be taken too far. The Abrahamic religions tend to be exclusionary -- those who don't believe in their particular flavor can just go to hell (or something like that).

It seems to me that more people who previously felt they had to hide their secularism/skepticism feel more open about coming out as skeptics. Also, atheists have had some outspoken speakers and writers who have made a very reasonable case for skepticism.

Religions will need to adapt to a changing society or become less and less relevant - not only the Witnesses. Pope Francis is putting a much more reasonable face on Catholicism. It is probably beyond his power to reform the myriad of things that are wrong and unreasonable about the worldwide church, but at least he's toning down the divisive rhetoric and trying to attract flies with "honey" rather than the vinegar of certain predecessors of his.

• hijosdelawatch
    hijosdelawatch

That's something that happened a long ago here in Europe.

It's ridiculous how Witnesses preach here. You go d2d asking about Trinity for example and then the householder says: "Hmm... I'm atheist". Witnesses just go to another door. They don't know how to answer.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

You can see a clear downward trend but these polls are often meaningless as terms like "God" and "believe in Jesus" can be interpreted so subjectively differently and liberally by anyone.

I believe in some vague universal spirit/force of some kind = I believe in God.

I believe in the golden rule = I believe in Jesus.

• snare&racket
  • Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Good, about bloody time!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit