No Pressure, Darlings...it's just their lives in your hands

by freeflyingfaerie 3 Replies latest jw friends

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

"Everything we did was to be a witness...

People's eternal destinies hinged on a word or tiny event, maybe on no more than an unfriendly look. Even an improperly served high tea on Sunday afternoon could send someone to hell {or Hades, your pick}. What if the sandwiches were prepared wrong and they went away with the impression that we were like all those so-called ministries where they didn't even know how to butter thinly sliced bread out to the edges? What if the person visiting was given a plastic spoon and we were mistaken for uncouth Pentecostals? We had to be people that others wanted to join, attractive ambassadors for Christ in word and deed.

~Crazy for God by Frank Shaeffer

Pretty entertaining book so far

Loved this also~ The only answer to "Who are you?" is "When?"

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Looks good

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I read that years ago; Frank Schaeffer's a terrific writer.

I swear, some of the more rabid evangelicals make JWs look positively tame.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

"Prayers began "Dear Heavenly Father" and continued with a litany of requests. When we prayed out loud, the prayers were often a not-so-subtle vehicle for sermons....Praying out loud was also a way of advancing one's case, the advantage being that no one dared interrupt you or argue back. Moreover, prayer was a way to tell God to behave, to stick with being the God we said he was, and a way to remind God of his "many promises" so he wouldn't try to do anything odd or theologically inconsistant."

"All the basic precepts were right there in my parent's prayers. Now God knew what he was supposed to be doing- predestining each individual to be saved or lost and doing this from before creation-so we could relax. Prayer was a way to remind God not to let his attention wander or forget that we, and we only, really understood what he was supposed to be doing. So we prayed at him, too. The logic of those prayers, if one was reading between the lines, was something like this:

"Dear Heavenly Father, in Your Word You say that when two or three are gathered together, You will be in the midst of them. Well, we're gathered here, so do what we're telling You to do because we have You over a barrel and can quote Your own book back at you! And in case You're thinking of weaseling out of this deal we claim Your promises, and because You can't break any of those since You wrote it all in the Bible, You'll do what we say, and You'll do it NOW! Amen!

"..I just sat in my room and stared at the wall and couldn't figure out why it was a good idea to tell God stuff he already knew.

~pages 150,151

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit