Thorough Scriptural Destruction of the Practice of Judicial Committees

by kneehighmiah 9 Replies latest jw friends

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

I'm sure this has already been discussed. But here are my thoughts on why JCs are unscriptural.

1. Elders are instructed to look for “works that befit repentance (Acts 26:20).” First of all this scripture was talking about the repentance of sins and turning toward God needed to become a baptized follower of Jesus. The context shows that Paul is talking about the message he preached to unbelievers. This message is similar to the one preached by John the Baptist at Matthew 3:8 and Peter in Acts 3:19. So if this is a scripture used to justify judicial committee activities, I believe it’s woefully misapplied.
    2. Jesus instructed us to forgive (Matt 21:22; Luke 17:3,4). If a wrongdoer goes to the elders with a problem or confession and repents, then he should be forgiven according to scripture. He may even need to receive a “rebuke,” as mentioned in Luke, but he should still be forgiven if he repents. Verse 4 goes on to further mention that we must take the wrongdoers word, since we cannot read hearts. “Even if he sins seven times a day against you and he comes back to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.” Therefore, I don’t believe it belongs to the elders to determine genuine heartfelt repentance. That belongs to Jehovah.
    3. Jesus helps us understand how to deal with more stubborn individuals. Matt 18:15-17 shows that the wrongdoer should be confronted first. Then if they do not repent, further steps must be taken including removal from the congregation. The idea is to gain your brother and not rely on a formula to determine repentance or discipline.
    4. People who are not practicing sin, but have not approached the elders about a past sin should not be disfellowshiped (see above reasoning). Additionally King David committed sin and covered it up, but was forgiven by Jehovah. God reads hearts and forgives by means of Jesus and it is not up to men to judge that someone has a bad attitude.
    5. Fear of being expelled prevents those with problems from seeking help. Instead elders are instructed to act as loving spiritual shepherds, doctors, helpers and friends. James 5:13-16 clearly demonstrates this point. James doesn’t say “let the sinner seek the elders help and then let there be a judicial committee to see if they should be disfellowshipped or if they’re repentant.” Instead it’s clearly telling elders “if someone is sick or needs help, help them.” Why would anyone be moved to openly confess sins if they knew that they were going to be subject to a judicial committee with their entire relationship with friends and family hanging in the balance? How is that helpful or even healthy? It only adds to stress and guilt. Sadly I know many who have decide to fade away or hide addictions rather than seek help because of fear.
    6. Judicial restrictions (punishment) are unscriptural. After Peter publicly denied Christ, was he put on judicial restrictions? No. Shortly after his resurrection he visited Peter and encouraged him and entrusted him with responsibility (John 21:15-19). He had forgiven Peter despite his serious error. Shortly thereafter Peter would be used during Pentecost to help many get baptized. Therefore, not allowing repentant ones to comment at meetings is punitive and unscriptural.

Sadly as one of JW my entire life I can see the organization becoming Pharisaical and corporate with its endless rules. Following rules, going in service, attending meetings does nothing to change our sinful nature. Brothers are realizing this and becoming deeply depressed because they still feel they don’t measure up. Many live in fear of the elders and are afraid to express themselves for fear of condemnation. Thus many witnesses live fake lives and are not their authentic selves. Jesus knew just how sinful man is and helped us appreciate just how awesome and far reaching God’s undeserved kindness is for those who have faith and know God. I believe we’ve completely overlooked this and instead base righteousness on outward appearances, works and compliance to endless rules.

• pixel
    pixel

Nice thead.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

The JC process and procedure was one of the keys to me waking up.

The enforcement was completely random. Scriptures were rarely reviewed, it was all about the flock book. It was also about your relationship with the elders, close friends and family were granted slack, the 18 year old girl who didn't have any strings to pull was out in the cold.

It was also about your "past sins". Maybe you get a slap on the wrist the first time around, but do it again and you were pretty much condemned. So much for forgiveness.

Such a weird ass f*n cult.

• prologos
    prologos

Was the recalcitrant wrongdoer not be confronted by the "Congregation" as "at the Gate" in OT?

where did the secret , no recording, no live witnesses to the proceedings idea come in?

WT ghoul lawyers? fear of more law suits?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

The development of a chain of authority in the early church was slow but inexorable, and for reasons that are not entirely clear, but likely connected to a need for an appeal process, there is evidence that in time, a record of any judicial process was made. Certainly it seems that the early churches communicated with each other with letters, envoy's, and petitions to each other, often seeking support on some matter to do with authority in the church.

My studies of events/life in west Asia, neccessarily have included the development (as far as we can know it) of both Judaism and Christianity. While much of the history of the early church has been lost to us, much is still accessible. I suggest the connecting link between early Christianity and contemporary JWism is a certain Freddie Franz, a one time classical student who was baptised as a bible student in 1913 or 1914, in the last days of Charlie Russell's reign and was also a witness of the ecclesiastical battle that ensued upon Charlie's death. Franz must have supported Joe Rutherford, as he went to Bethel NY in 1920 and by 1926 it is claimed became a member of the editorial staff. I have no knowledge of Freddie's reading list, but he seems to be the best connection between the past and the present.

So, back to the past, we have circa 272 CE, information concerning a certain Paul, bishop of Antioch who argued that Christ was a man, and not God. (Pls remember that while likely all the NT books may have been known, there was still no approved NT canon). This dispute demonstrates all the features of a JW Judicial Committee. A panel of visiting bishops set up a synod in Antioch (one of the key centres of Christianity) and interrogated Paul, the proceedings were recorded, Q & A, Q & A, by a panel of secretaries skilled in keeping records. The bishops then sent out a circular letter to churches throughout the Mediterrean world announcing their decison to excommunicate Paul, finding him guilty (in affect) of living an unchristian life. (taking money for judgement, living in sin and luxury, giving himself airs, and so on).

If Paul had accepted the decision and quietly stood down, that may have been the end of the matter. But, he decided not to go quietly. Paul refused to surrender the church building.

The synod of bishops decided not to wait for God to execute his own judgement on Paul, by taking the matter to the highest legal authority of the time - the Emperor (who happened to be Aurelian- and yes! a pagan). So by invitation, perhaps for the first time, a Roman Emperor had to settle a legal (over land and building) dispute in the Chrsitian church. Aurelian's judgement was that the control of the building should be assigned to whoever the bishops of Rome and Italy approved.

The affair, I suggest demonstrates the development of authority in the early church. Jesus left no practical framework for the growth of an organisation (if what we have in the gospel accounts can all be attributed to Jesus, and if he truly believed that he was a spirit come to earth, he does not really seem to have had the foresight to see a church developing, but seems to have thought that the end would come soon after his death.

But as fate would have it, the end did not come. The small church he may have left behind grew through missionary activity, much as the Buddhists had already done, and much as the Jews were also doing, and the later Manicheans (as a Christian sect) would do.

All had to organise a system of authority to manage their far-flung empires, just as the modern day Christian (haha) witnessess of Yahweh have had to do, developing organisational procedures to suit the problems they were confronted with, including the problems of dealing with dissenters.

• CaramelQueen
    CaramelQueen

Excellent post. Excellent thread.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Just thought I would add a couple more scriptures to the subject.

1 Corinthians 4:3-6

New International Version (NIV)

3 I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. 4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. 5 Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.

6 Now, brothers and sisters, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, “Do not go beyond what is written.” Then you will not be puffed up in being a follower of one of us over against the other.

Romans 8:1

Life Through the Spirit

8 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,

1 Corinthians 2:14

14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

I like the last one since they the elders so not claim to be anointed then infact they do not infact have the Spirit.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

marked

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Great thread, however I contend that judicial committees as conducted by JWs are completely scriptural. I was convinced by this thread:

• designs
    designs

Knees- don't blame the Pharisees, the Gospels misrepresent them. Don't think of Jesus as the innocent nice guy, he threw his people under the bus of Rome.

Things aren't as they appear....in the Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit