The WTS could learn a lot from the pope.

by Simon 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Who'd a thunk that the WTS new age religion would have the old, stodgy, completely aloof, arrogant and out of touch leadership and the old established Catholic Church would have the hip, cool dude at the top totally rockin' it?!

I'm not religious but I have to say, he seems like a great leader - down to earth, humble, sensible and not full of himself despite his position. He used to be a bouncer, did the laundry for his underlings and generally sets an example of how people like the GB should behave ... but don't.

Kudos to him for doing a great job so far. I hope he continues to embarrass the leaders of the childish upstart religions.

• designs
    designs

Seems to be a person who always liked mixing with the common folk. He just did the big smack down on greed and economic inequility. The GOP over here are having nose bleeds

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Yea, I like how he's changed to much humbler clothes, his chair, he lives in a simple place, drives a simple car, and the things he has been doing, he seems to be pretty sincere and is trying to be humble and nonjudgemental.

• Laika
    Laika

He seems a good man, I think he'll inspire a large increase in Catholicism.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Hmmm. The Pope is talking a big game but let's see him put his money where his mouth is. Lets see some real change.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

With Pope Francis in charge of the Roman Catholic Church, it will become a lot harder for the WTS to criticize him without sounding like complete hypocrites.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Yes, the Catholic church has updated a lot of their understandings about Bible teachings too. Does that mean Proverbs 4:18 or whatever it is prophecies them too? I mean, the RC has made mistakes, but they've acknowledged most of them.

• Syme
    Syme

It seems that pope Francis is nostalgic of the Franciscan era of the Catholic church. It is said that the name of his choice is a tribute to the original Francis of Assisi, the founder of the Franciscan Order, who tried to bring the Catholics back to the First Century principles of Poverty and humility. So, if he's a Frasciscan in spirit, well it doesn't say much (Frasciscans were still devout Catholics), but could be a shift in attitude from the previous popes. And yes, the Frasciscan spirit is really lost in time, lost even by some Christians in Warwick, it would seem.....

If you are interested in learning more about the Frasciscan era, read Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose (William of Baskerville was a Frasciscan).

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, he seems very down to earth and comfortable with normal people - seeing pictures of him having his photo taken with people and chatting casually with others, defintely a different pope. Of course that would just be PR but he also seems to be backing the church away from being so intrustive and dogmatic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit