Just finished Terry's book, "I Wept by the Rivers of Babylon"...

by tenyearsafter 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Congratulations Terry on a great read!

If you have not read Terry's book, I would definitely recommend you give it a look. Terry is a great writer, and he bravely explores a chapter of his life that many current and ex-JW's won't even relate to...facing the draft as a conscientious objector (CO) JW. Being a CO would normally just require acceptance of alternate civilian service, but not if you were a JW in the 60's and 70's. Terry was just an innocent young man growing up in the Vietnam War Era, and as he unfolds his journey for us, he uses both humor, pathos and horror to bring us in to the experience he and thousands of young JW men faced during that time. He writes in a very readable style...I laughed one minute, and recoiled in the next. Not only does he give his compelling story, but he also gives some very interesting and informative information about the history of conscience and subjection to the "Superior Authorities" of Romans 13:1.

I am of the age that I saw and felt the turmoil these young men felt and experienced, and it caused me to re-live that discomfort. For younger ones, it will show you another chapter of the WT that may make you think if you still have any belief in the shifting doctrines produced out of Brooklyn.

Do yourself a favor, and read this chapter of history that happened not so long ago!

• Darkanyons
    Darkanyons

Interesting.

So wheres the link?

• tenyearsafter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit