Am I being cynical??

by quellycatface 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

I have gained the distinct impression that many pioneers are real free loaders. The pioneer couple I used to study with always arranged (or re-arranged) the study to coincide with lunch. They NEVER once thought to bring a pack of cookies or something. The brother used to boast he never had to buy clothes as he was always given "stuff". He was such a jackass. I pandered to them and then the light came on and I have'nt studied since August. I am now DA'd.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

So they always made sure the study was around lunch time, well how convenient is that!

Since a study is usually a weekly occurence I hope you didn't serve them lunch every time they were there.

They know how to use the folks, getting them to drop them off at their return visits and studies and not offering up a dime for the gas, they know EXACTLY what they're doing.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Speaking as a former regular pioneer, I think you are being unfair to paint all pioneers with the same brush. I pioneered and was desperately poor, of course, and was terribly grateful for any generosity. Actually generosity was slim, so on the rare occasions someone invited me to a meal or gave me $5 for gas, I really appreciated it. But I never took advantage of the generosity of others and eventually quit pioneering to earn a living for myself.

I know some people are users, but not all pioneers were.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

When I pioneered, I cannot recall getting a meal from any Bible study, and I don't think it entered my head to even try to organise it.

I recall that in one (smallish) congregation, there was a spontaneous organising by sisters to provide a daily lunch for one elderly pensioner, and we (wife and I) had two organised meals a week.

I can't recall anyone ever buying clothes for either my wife or myself, though in one congregation a sister's husband died of a heart attack and she gave me a stack of freshly washed and ironed clothes to sort through to see what may fit.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

No, you are right. Not all pioneers are like this. This couple were an exception.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit